Opel GT Forum banner

61 - 80 of 350 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,103 Posts
My 3:18 is for sale

I'm confident in my new 3:18 rear that I put disc brakes on, so I am now prepared to part with my other 3:18 rear axle that used to be on the Red Baron. See the Ad Board and thread. Bidding starts at $250 and will run for one month.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The 2.4 exhaust manifold is a little bit different to the earlier ones.

It has the twin outlet pipes at 90 degrees to the usual manifolds
It flows better than any other standard one,
It has the drilled tapped hole for the lambda sensor.
The lambda sensor maybe needed with the FI 2.4 set up, it comes with one as standard.

The standard inlet manifold is too long for a GT although may fit the Manta.

Perhaps he has some 6 cylinder 3 litre manifolds for sale that can be modified to suit

Not all 3 litre inlet manifolds are the same though some research will be necessary.

Here is my modified 3 litre one with a slightly modded 2.4 TPS.

Attachments

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,103 Posts
Lest we forget, I have a stock 2.4 manifold on my GTX's engine with a custom made-for-a-GT 2.25" headpipe by RallyBob. He also made a 2.5" one for someone with a performance 2.4, I think. So, he may be able to make a headpipe for those with a GT who want to keep the VERY quiet and good performing stock manifold

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
What's the possibility of just getting a 2.4 crankshaft?

Stock 2.4 pistons are fragile junk, and aftermarket rods are cheap enough that I wouldn't want/need stock ones.
Tell us the secret on what you plan on doing with it.. and I'll even pay the shipping.

BUt yes I am sure if he has any I can get one or two.. just have to get price. They maybe scarred and the seconds. But I think you maybe able to do something with them.
If I had to guess.
De-stroke the 2.4L crank in order to use long... connecting rods.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Nothing secret. Lighten the counterweights so it revs easier. Offset grind the rod journals. Longer rods. Custom pistons. 2570 cc's.
You make it sound so easy :)

·
Super Moderator
13,358 Posts
You make it sound so easy :)
It is. It's about an hour of math and other calculations to figure all the dimensional work.

Then, ship the crank to a guy who lightens it, grinds the mains, grinds the thrust, offset grinds the rods, and balances it. That's just money on my end.

Order the rods I chose to do what I need them to do. Again, just money.

Using my previous calculations, design and order the pistons. More money.

Have the block machined to the piston size. Grind for rod throw clearance too.

Assemble.

It's all about the first step, figuring it out. And paying for it.

·
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
It is. It's about an hour of math and other calculations to figure all the dimensional work.

Then, ship the crank to a guy who lightens it, grinds the mains, grinds the thrust, offset grinds the rods, and balances it. That's just money on my end.

Order the rods I chose to do what I need them to do. Again, just money.

Using my previous calculations, design and order the pistons. More money.

Have the block machined to the piston size. Grind for rod throw clearance too.

Assemble.

It's all about the first step, figuring it out. And paying for it.
Yea.. for YOU the figuring it out is simple.. For us mere mortals, its way above our paygrade. :)

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
One of the things with offsetting the crankshaft is that it could go both ways.
Offset one way increase of stroke
Offset the other way decrease.

Then please look at the rod journal size
it will be in most cases smaller.....
Smaller Rd Bgrs =lower BGR speed

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Frontera Grille

Hey Charles,
If you go with this, I'd be interested in a Frontera B front grille for my 2002.
Cheers, Rob.

·
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Right now we are down to a few things I want and what kwschumms' 2.4L

Two Kadett Fenders, and maybe some misc stuff.

I few others backed out for unforeseen circumstances.. :'(

So we maybe down to one small crate, and I will have to reevaluate how much that will cost if its half what the quote for two was then all is good. If its not, and we are back to high shipping prices, then hard to say.

I was thinking of getting a Frontera and bringing it over.. and that's still not completely off the table especially if we still have a few things to ship.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It is 1.7m long part :) Our crate with engines is 120x80 or 120x100, it must GoinManta confirm. Then we have 1.44m or 1,56m on diagonal inside. So Yours grill is too big ;) or our crate is to little ;)

·
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
It is 1.7m long part :) Our crate with engines is 120x80 or 120x100, it must GoinManta confirm. Then we have 1.44m or 1,56m on diagonal inside. So Yours grill is too big ;) or our crate is to little ;)
If we get enough order we can get the crate to 240x100.. and then it may fit.

Maybe we cut it in half behind the logo. How much of the grill do you think you could reuse off the Isuzu ?

·
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
That maybe all he needs..

Any way..

Right now we have TWO motors.. complete, and one sold.

Also incoming in a 5 speed, a 2.2L and a LSD ( Which someone has dibs on )

PM me if interested .

These are used motors, and sold as such.

See attached.. BTW confirmation in the image of date taken..

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,791 Posts
I'd like a grille as too, for a '99, and the spare tire cover if it says Opel or Frontera on it as well. I would be interested in the motor mounts and bracketry needed for the engine to fit into the frontera chassis, just in case I want to put an Opel engine into my Amigo.

Any chance on getting a CIH diesel?

·
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I'd like a grille as too, for a '99, and the spare tire cover if it says Opel or Frontera on it as well. I would be interested in the motor mounts and bracketry needed for the engine to fit into the frontera chassis, just in case I want to put an Opel engine into my Amigo.

Any chance on getting a CIH diesel?
With Rav if he doesn't have it, but can be found or its sold on the eBay Marketplace ( think Craigslist Germany ) he can get it.. ;)

Right now we have a lot of space.

I think the key for bringing over Frontera Grilles would be exactly what part is different. If we can scavenge just part of the grille and the rest can be reuse off the Isuzu, then it would be easy. A whole front grille of front clip won't be. Not if there is a discreet place to cut it so it can be reassembles that would be good too.

61 - 80 of 350 Posts