Opel GT Forum banner

Speedometer - clicking noise

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Will I. Finish 
#1 ·
So my problem began when I replaced the small seal at the speedometer drive at the transmission - the seal that is inside and must be accessed by removing the the piece that holds the impeller, with the removal of that small pin, why they chose the pin instead of a screw, well anyway. I watched the video made by Opel Power #70 and followed his well done video/instructions which was very well done. Prior to that I had a perfectly working speedometer just a little transmission fluid leak. Leak is fixed but my speedometer, just after the fitting of the new seal, began to bounce, then it just stopped cold, no movement what so ever, then it began to bounce again all on its own as I never touched a thing. So now, the actual speedometer in the instrument panel is making a clicking noise - my wife was kind enough to go on a little drive around the hood with me and said that the clicking was coming from the speedometer, I really could not tell, my hearing at least directional is not so good. It helped to isolate the clicking by turning off the engine and coasting to eliminate the engine as a possible source of the clicking as I first thought it may be a valve clicking. So after our test drive I decided to try and resolve the clicking.

So today I went down under and removed the angle piece seen in picture and removed the small piece of the drive stem which measures 1 and 1/2 inched - I reinserted it into the part attached to the car and slid the angle drive tube over it - only one piece of drive stem just shown in both pieces in the event that is an important element..In addition there was about 1/2 inch of the piece from the speedometer to the end of the cable sticking out which I then inserted into the end of the drive angle and tightened the large round aluminum cap.
Based on the information and the pictures provided does anyone have any idea what may have caused this issue, both the bouncing and now the clicking noise. As always many thanks for your help and consideration. Other than that the car is running really GREAT. Still other issues to pursue as with a 50 year old car that seems to be the rule not the exception. Thanks again, Carl

See less See more
#2 ·
This is not unusual. What is most likely happening is that the square end of the speedo cable core is not engaging into the square hole in the angle adapter end, or possibly the speedo end. You would think it would eventually engage the square hole regardless, but one end of the cable core is 'skipping' across the square hole and never setting into the square hole. Occasionally it will grab enough to turn the speedo a few turns, then will release, then will grab, etc., and that causes the bouncing needle. It can come and go as you have seen.

The cure is to get the speedo cable core properly engaged to some depth into the square hole. Since this got messed up when you were working on the lower end, that is the suspect end. Remove that lower end of the speedo cable again, and gently pull the core out as far as you can. Then rotate the core so that you can see it lined up exactly with the square hole in the right angle adapter. Insert it, maybe using a small screwdriver to try to make sure the core goes into the square hole to some depth. Then secure down the locking ring.

I've had to do this before, and made sure the core end went into the square hole. There seems to be some slop in the fit of the core inside the speedo cable sheath, and I guess the core can 'back up' inside the sheath, and never engage the square hole at one end. I have actually had to work with both ends of a Dodge speedo cable before, to make sure both ends were engaged.

#7 ·
You sir were quite correct. I had not fully inserted the cable into the speedometer actually was surprised that it was working at all as it was just partially in. So while I had my seat out I also adjusted the back up light switch as my backup lights were staying on 24/7, not now. Thanks for the tip Gordo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.