Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on the best way to get the square speedometer drive pin properly aligned with the speedometer so it can be reconnected? There is very little room for access there (by the normal human hand:banghead:) since this must be done with the instrument panel (or dash) installed and there isn't much slack in the cable. The square drive pin must be aligned before you can tighten the ferrule.

I thought I had it connected previously but the speedo didn't work. The cable and gear drive at the transmission are probably O.K. because the cable end pin spins when the car is driven. I assume that the speedo itself works and that this is just a matter of getting the cable properly connected.

·
Opeler
153 Posts
No secret....

....just push it in. One or the other or both will turn enough to line up and go together. I usually do it sitting in the driver's seat reaching under and up with my right hand. If the ferrule threads on, you're hooked up. If it doesn't, your problem lies elsewhere, I'm sure.

vancek

Any tips on the best way to get the square speedometer drive pin properly aligned with the speedometer so it can be reconnected?

·
UFOpel Investigator
3,472 Posts
Tip:
If it's on a Manta or Ascona. I always first give myself more slack in the cable by moving all the extra slack from the transmission end up to the dash. An extra inch or so is usually available and makes the re-connection under the dash MUCH easier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts