Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can run the speedometer with a drill and a cable. IMH it takes too much resistance, which would explain why my speedo gear was twisted. I don't want to hook it up and twist off the end of the gear again.

Anyone disassembled the speedometer to repair or lube it? My 49 Studebaker truck has a little lube well with felt in it. Anything like that on the Opel that is 20 years newer?

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,368 Posts
If you are running it from the bottom of the speedo cable, by the trannie, then the problem is likely in the cable and its core. Is that the case, or are you running it at the back of the speedo itself?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. Bypassing the cable and using a short length of speedo cable on a drill. The speedo cable remains hooked up to the transmission. It is just not hooked up to the speedo, as I was afraid of trashing the gear.

·
Registered
893 Posts
What year car/gearbox? If it is a 1969 or '70, the twisted driven gear could have resulted from a failed angle drive. My '71 with '69 engine and gearbox just went through that -- the gears in the angle drive had too much end-play and they seized.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,368 Posts
Nope. Bypassing the cable and using a short length of speedo cable on a drill. The speedo cable remains hooked up to the transmission. It is just not hooked up to the speedo, as I was afraid of trashing the gear.
OK.. then IDK why it would be hard to turn. Not aware of any lube access for speedo's of that era. They all tended to be designed to be replaced, not serviced.

·
Can Opeler
3,754 Posts
OK.. then IDK why it would be hard to turn. Not aware of any lube access for speedo's of that era. They all tended to be designed to be replaced, not serviced.
The grease inside hardens and jams the gears. This caused the transmission gear in my kadett too break too.

The GT speedo can be disassembled and lubed but you have to remove the front chrome ring and glass to get to it. After that spray WD40 and run it with a drill until all the gunk leaves then put in some superlube and call it good.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What year car/gearbox? If it is a 1969 or '70, the twisted driven gear could have resulted from a failed angle drive. My '71 with '69 engine and gearbox just went through that -- the gears in the angle drive had too much end-play and they seized.
69 1.1 four speed. But I THINK the actual speedo head is the same regardless of engine or trans. Is that an incorrect assumption?

I think Kyler answered my question. Car sat from 1974 to 2016. I am certain whatever lube was in there is old and hard. I will plan to pull the instrument cluster out and disassemble the speedo. Worst case scenario is I have to buy another. Would like to save this one.

·
Super Moderator
6,068 Posts
69 1.1 four speed. But I THINK the actual speedo head is the same regardless of engine or trans. Is that an incorrect assumption?

I think Kyler answered my question. Car sat from 1974 to 2016. I am certain whatever lube was in there is old and hard. I will plan to pull the instrument cluster out and disassemble the speedo. Worst case scenario is I have to buy another. Would like to save this one.
This is a GT, right? Since the differential on a 1.1 GT has a ratio of 4.11:1 (vs 3.44:1 on the 1.9) the speedo "W" factor is different. Not sure what it is, but not the same as the 1.9 speedo. And it will be rare, with so few 1.1 GT's built.

·
Registered
720 Posts
My '69 GT 1.1 is only slightly newer than yours... I remember that your GT has the heater control valve under
the instrument panel, a feature of early GTs.

I have not had any speedometer cable or gear damage, but twice there was a noisey squeal from the speedometer.
The first time it happened I inquired of Gil W.. His advice was to put some oil on a rag and squeeze it onto the back
of the speedometer at the cable opening.. I had already UN-attached the cable at the speedometer so I knew it wasn't
a cable problem. At the same time I also put a little oil in the cable housing . I repeated that oiling a few years later.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,881 Posts
I have the speedo for a 1.1L GT in mine. Not sure why but I do have it. I believe it works fine. They are rare, so I knew at some point someone will want it.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,368 Posts
I have not had any speedometer cable or gear damage, but twice there was a noisey squeal from the speedometer.
The first time it happened I inquired of Gil W.. His advice was to put some oil on a rag and squeeze it onto the back
of the speedometer at the cable opening.. I had already UN-attached the cable at the speedometer so I knew it wasn't
a cable problem. At the same time I also put a little oil in the cable housing . I repeated that oiling a few years later.
I've heard that type of squeal from other speedos of that era. Probably a dry chattering of the input shaft in the housing.

·
Super Moderator
6,068 Posts
I have the speedo for a 1.1L GT in mine. Not sure why but I do have it. I believe it works fine. They are rare, so I knew at some point someone will want it.
Zeppi , what W factor is that 1.1 / 4.11:1 diff speedo? (the later 1.9 without the speedo right angle drive and the 3.44:1 diff ration speedo's were W=1062)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I find it odd that they used different speedometers on 1.1 and 1.9. On my 69 Camaro for instance, every Camaro got the same speedo from a 2.73 axle to a 4.88. They just used different drive and driven gears in the trans to make it close to accurate. In some cases (4.10 and lower) an adapter goes on the speedo drive on the tranny to make up the difference.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,881 Posts
I did check that the 1020 was for the US spec 1.1L GT's and it is. So, I have a speedo that I don't need. I'm happy to sell it to someone who has a 1.1L and needs it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did one years ago and another within the last 5 years. Mine wasn't working right, sluggish and bounced a lot. They are pretty easy to fix, I ended up cleaning and fashioning a new gasket between the speedo unit and the attaching cable mount. Check OGTS site for info on this. You will need to get into the case, but it isn't difficult. I purchased a newer speedo, but decided I wanted the original mileage on the odometer. Fixed it and returned the one I bought that showed more mileage on it. Trust yourself, if you try and fail, it was broken anyway. Sorry I have no pics on how to do it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts