Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday there was a post to Classicopels on the importing of the Speedster badged as a Saturn based upon the its popularity in a video game. I know that this is one of the most reliable sources, but out of curiousity I asked the people at Saturn. I figure, what the heck, right.

This is the response:

Hi David,

Thank you for your interest in our vehicles. At this time we are not
aware
of importing or rebadging the Opel Speedster. However, Saturn does have
plans to introduce a Roadster in 2006. We would like to recommend
visiting
www.saturn.com and www.saturnmedia.com for information about the
vehicle.

Please feel free to e-mail us again or call us at 1-800-553-6000,
prompt 3.

Sincerely,

Neva Ferguson
Saturn Customer Assistance Center

SR: 1-13985811
SIV-21-8BRIS

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 10/28/2004 17:26:22
To: [email protected]
Subject: Other

DATE: 10/28/2004
TIME: 18:26:22
FIRST NAME: David
LAST NAME: McCollam
EMAIL ADDRESS: [email protected]
ZIP CODE: 76107
CONTACT METHOD: email
PHONE: --
CURRENT SATURN:
SATURN VIN:
CURRENT ODOMETER:
SUBJECT: Other
MESSAGE: Rumor has it that you will rebadge and import the Opel
Speedster.
Any truth to this?

Thanks,

Dave
EMAIL PROMOTION: no

Guess that video game popularity doesn't carry too much weigh at Saturn, huh.

Still the new '06 roadster could be interesting.

·
467 Posts
Does anyone know how many speedsters have been built...? with Opels' money problems GM might pull the plug if production volumes are low.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
They are also being produced as Vauxhall VX220s and I think Lotus is using them to produce the newest "Elise" too. So there are at least three strings to that bow.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I wish I could understand just what is the relationship between Opel and other car makers. Let me see, as far as I know they are in bed with Isuzu, Saturn, now Vauxhall and Lotus?
Now what is a Speedster?
Wouldn't it be cool if they made a modern repro of the GT? Like what ford did to Mustang, GM's new little hot rod ('53-ish) pickup, and have you seen the '70 Chevelle-ish conversion for the '04 GTO? Check out the December Hot Rod Magazine.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
They are all part of the GM "multi-national" Corporation. At the moment Isuzu is exiting the GM clutches and returning to Japanese Family ownership - they want to build cars and the GM beancounters won't let them. Lotus was bought by GM some time in the early 1980's - that is where the distictly "Lotus" twin cam cylinder head used on some home market Isuzu Piazzas came from and the "Handling by LOTUS" insignia on Impulses and Troopers. Vauxhall and Opel are wholly owned GM subsidiaries and the Pontiac GTO is a facelifted Holden Monaro - Aussie Holden is another GM subsidiary (and makes many of the present Gen II and EcoTec Opel motors for world use). And so on .........

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Get A Head

Have a Twin Cam Isuzu Piazza ("Impulse") motor or two sitting on the floor in my workshop. Unfortunately they are good motors and I don't want to tear one of the heads off and gaskets are only available in the Japanese home market as that particular motor was not exported - except 2nd hand to NZ and Australia. One of these days my curiosity will get the better of me and one of the DOHC Isuzu heads will come off just to seee if they will fit an Opel block ........ watch this space. :D

Attachments

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
jeff im trying to get a pic of a turbo head gasket from a guy in oz
if it comes back i will send to u direct

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Baz, There are three distictly different Piazza motors in the 1981-88 range.
1) Standard SOHC motor which is the same as the pickup trucks G200Z
2) SOHC "Turbo" motor designated 4ZC1
3) DOHC fuel injected motor designated G200W
The only thing that interchanges on these motors is the LH engine mounting bracket. The head gaskets are entirely different.
DOHC motor is a Lotus designed head (looks very similar to the Lotus Cortina) mounted upon and older pushrod block which still uses a dummy camshaft to drive the oli pump. The twin cams are chain driven from a second sprocket mounted on the drive end of the dummy cam shaft. A much older design than the other two motors. Head gaskets are extremely difficult to find.

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
The CURVE concept looks tempting, Mazda RX8 styling with 2.2 ecotech 4 cylinder and 5 speed Getrag, and is rear drive, built on existing platforms as the Solstice and Nomad (concept). Maybe another engine source in the future for the Manta and GT. Check Saturn Concept cars. And maybe suspension or a least try for the brakes almost 13" of them 323 and 320 mm. check out the same site as David mentioned but go to CONCEPT CARS tab.

·
Registered
43 Posts
A doctor in town has a late model Elise. Not sure how he got it here, I don't know if they're officially imported, but is left-drive. Power is from an acura integra R-type motor, as I remember, converted for rear drive. It's a quick lil sumbeech.

·
Registered
43 Posts
in a funny coincidence, I was going through a PILE of magazines and car books given to me by the PO with my kadett, and found a 2000 Motor Trend test drive of the speedster that was forcasting it's introduction in the 2003 Pontiac line. Guess they missed the call on that one. Nice review, good pics.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
GTJIM said:
Have a Twin Cam Isuzu Piazza ("Impulse") motor or two sitting on the floor in my workshop. Unfortunately they are good motors and I don't want to tear one of the heads off and gaskets are only available in the Japanese home market as that particular motor was not exported - except 2nd hand to NZ and Australia. One of these days my curiosity will get the better of me and one of the DOHC Isuzu heads will come off just to seee if they will fit an Opel block ........ watch this space. :D
Well I have taken a Twin Cam Piazza head off and unfortunately the cylinder case is both narrower and shorter than an Opel CIH cylinder block. Here are overlapping pics of the two head gaskets - no way one head will fit on another.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts