Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Did you notice this was not on the Federal list for cars which can be imported? :mad:

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
No Reply

I wrote the guy selling the Speedster and ask him to prove to me that he can LEGALLY ship the car to the US. I haven't heard a word from him!

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Here is a Thought....

Can the Speedster be "legally" shipped to Canada or Mexico ........ ??

·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shipping

Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I don't think getting it shipped here is the is where the problem arises. Getting it past the NHTSA so it can be liscensed, titled and registerd is the problem. Otherwise couldn't it be partially dismantled overseas, shipped as parts and then assembled here. I know that this is done with Tri-tech Messerscmitts to avoid the whole vehicle "importation" fiasco that insues from shipping a new car.

Darrin
*Actually, I wonder if we couldn't get them into the country that way... :rolleyes: *

·
Registered
214 Posts
I recently read where they do just that with a British sportscar for importation to the US. The body and drivetrain are shipped seperately, then assembeled somewhere in Ohio. Finally, it is registered as a "kit" car. I think I read it a couple months ago in Motortrend, or Car and Driver mag.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
If that is the case, wouldn't you do this to the "turbo" model instead of the regular 2.2 engine?

·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2.0 turbo, 2.2 regular, doesn't matter to me... I would take a speedster in any form. If I had the money I would attempt it. Anyone out there have an extra 50G stuffed in there matress that they just didn't know what to do with? ;)

Darrin

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
The Opel Speedster is indeed going to be available in the United States.

Granted, it will not have the ultra-cool Blitz logo, or even look nearly as cool overall, but the Lotus Elise is every inch an Opel Speedster with some notable upgrades. Namely the engine. And the airbags.

Anyone looking for a car to invest in would be well advised to purchase a 2004 Esprit... only 39 will touch American soil.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
The Lotus is nice, but I like the lines of the Opel/Vauxhall much better. I already own one, it is the 1:18 scale model(in yellow of course) :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts