Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
10,293 Posts
19693SGTEOPEL said:
prob the easiest way to get it in is buy it from greenland and ship it to northern canada and drive it into the US
Then let it sit for the next 23 years because you can't register it. That one in AZ is scheduled to be crushed when the testing is done. :(

·
Administrator
10,293 Posts
xenophobe said:
why cant it be registered? emissions? :confused:
DOT regulations for the emissions and safety features. I think that goes away after the car is 25 years old

My '84 Senator was a "Greymarket" import. There was a loophole back then. The original owner had a house in Germany and one in LA. He bought the Opel new, had it shipped to CA and paid for it to be made DOT compliant. Side markers, cat, etc. They made the front and rear bumpers "legal" by welding 2 inch channel iron between the brackets.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
how exactly do you get parts for that opel gary? or do you just pray it dont break down...lol

·
Registered
200 Posts
The biggest reason you can't get cars imported into the US are the DOT safety regulations. They haven't been crash tested and emissions certified.

A big issue Audi owners have is that we don't get the Recaro seats in the us. The only reason is that they would have to waste 3 $60-80k cars in crash testing just to get the better seats certified.

·
Administrator
10,293 Posts
greensmurf20 said:
how exactly do you get parts for that opel gary? or do you just pray it dont break down...lol
Gotta love the 'net. Everything I have needed so far for the '84 and my '51 Olympia I have been able to get through friends in Germany or eBay, Germany. Prices were reasonable until the Euro's value and postal costs went up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Speedster

It was first reported on the TV show Motorweek
with pictures maybe back in 2000 the Pontiac was
choosen to sell the speedter. Later on Pontiac
denied GM would import it. Now GM has said for
what ever reason that they "GM U.S.A." will
design there own sport 2-seater that has been
seen at Auto shows. I forget right now what it's
name was but it look interesting.

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
Do you mean the Pontiac Solstace? I never cared for the car in the photos I saw. But then last year at the all-GM Nationals at Carlisle, I saw it in person. I think it looks WAYY better than the Speedster in person. In fact, the rear of the car looks VERY much like an Opel GT would if it was updated. I'd buy one if it came with the supercharged 240 hp Ecotec that the show car had.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
where did you guys get to see this car at? i'm curious to as what it looks like.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
ouch....that beauty has to go to the crusher! I would not be able to pull the lever on that one. couldnt you get it registed in canada and drive around the US like your visiting.......until you get caught. also im going up to carlisle tommorrow....any one else going to be there?

·
What's a Nopel?
352 Posts
Car and Driver & Auto Week reported this week that the Pontiac Solstice is much closer to reality and may actually be in production by the end of 2004. Bob Lutz is looking to keep the entry level base model at just below $20,000
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=29&article_id=6868&page_number=1

I also saw that GM is contemplating putting the Solstice plant in Wilmington, Delaware.
http://www.autoweek.com/search/sear...66&Search_Type=STD&Search_ID=1380266&record=1

I don't know about anyone else, but I love the look of this car & I'm getting in line to be one of the 1st to own one WHEN it comes out.

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
What are the plans for the powerplant? If they make it an underpowered POS, I'm gonna puke....I hate when they tempt us with decent hp and then pull the plug at the last moment. I'd trade my WRX for one if it has the right engine....

·
What's a Nopel?
352 Posts
Per the article:
All versions would share the same 2.2-liter four-cylinder engines, in naturally aspirated and supercharged forms, along with a choice of manual or automatic transmissions. Lutz has said he'd like the least expensive Solstice to start at or below $20,000.

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
I get the impression (from reviewing sources such as C&D, R&T and the internet at large) that the Opel Speedster, Pontiac Solstice, and the Vauxhall VX Lightning are going to share the same platform. This would mean that GM would have to transition of the current porduction Speedster to a GM plant and away from the current production facility operated by Lotus (it's a cost thing). This would force the Speedster to a front-engine/rear-drive config (spy-shots remind me of a Merc CLK 230). But this would also force Lotus into exporting the Elise into the US marketplace to make up the lost global marketshare (as well as the mindshare of the twilight Esprit). English engines with regard to emissions, are so far in the dark ages, that Lotus is examining the possibility of using a Toyota 2.2 litre at 190 HP in the US market. Now THAT is a tough choice. 190 HP Elise or a Speedster based Pontiac (2.2 Ecotec blown to 240 HP, still only a rumor) .

I also remember reading a short while ago that an importer was getting imported Elise's to clear emissions and DOT garbage by dropping in a Honda VTEC, making 180 HP at the same weight as the original Lotus 120 HP mill. And with the amount tuner parts available for the VTEC engine, 250+ HP is easier than ordering a pizza.

And now I am going to tell you how I really feel. I think that GM has finally recognized that their overseas counterparts are building REALLY NICE cars. So rather than start to pimp Opels and Holdens in the US, and have them devour the market and mindshare of the established GM brands, and with ever present penny-pinchers, platform-sharing these outstanding cars increases both actual vehicle performance and bottom-line profitability. Faster, better, more profitable, I think that the General is finally on to something.

There, I feel better now, thank you for listening, or at least pretending and making me feel better.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts