Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having some experience in asphalt banked oval stock car racing, and watching the Compact Class at our local speedway, I want to add one to our racing team's lineup. Having given it some thought as to just what car to use to compete with the Pintos and Mustangs and Celicas, I want to use the "Baby Vette"!
Of all you GT lovers and experts out there, who can give me advice as to whether or not this might be a good idea?
Can a GT be (slightly) modified to kick Ford butt?
The rules for this class require relatively stock engine but of course must be built bulletproof at high RPM. It appears (with a GT) there isn't much choice for differential ratios, but there will be some options available by running it in 2nd gear, will take experimentation between ratio of 4-spd and 5-spd.
Naturally, handling is the key. I am told the GT turns sweet. Is there a lot of camber adjustment available, like the 6 degrees max allowed in this class? Upper and lower A arms may be modified, according to the rule book. "Any bushing material may be used" unquote, I see there are some options here for the GT.
Carburetor limited to 390 CFM, max.1-1/2" venturi diameter...any thoughts here?
Will spare body parts (not necessarily in great condition) be available for the GT?
I really hope you GT enthusiasts will give my idea a thumbs up and offer lots of advice and possibly even some help.
Thanks a lot!;)

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
jeff denton said:
It appears (with a GT) there isn't much choice for differential ratios,
3.44 3.67 3.89 4.75 5.00 5.15 and 5.28 are all available from Risee in Germany. Bring your wallet!

Is there a lot of camber adjustment available, like the 6 degrees max allowed in this class?
No adjustment in stock form. Youll need to modify the stock unit to be adjustable or build some from scratch

-Travis

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
You'd be better off building a Manta for short-track racing. The GT's handling is not that great in stock form, especially with rules limitations. Also a GT has ALL welded-on body panels with the exception of the doors, hood and headlights. And we all know how short-track cars like to swap paint!

I've had a lot of experience with the Manta chassis on a 1/4 mile asphalt circuit, it has always been the best handling car out there in a sea of Mustangs and Pintos. Needs a lot of work to make it run with the 2300 Fords in the power department. You're giving up 400 cc's, which is a lot. If you can sneak a 2.2 Opel engine into it, then you'll probably dominate the class. We had a 2100 cc engine that could outrun 2.5 litre Super Duty Pontiacs, but we had to rev it hard.

Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts