Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Someone needs to buy this car ASAP
Seller told me there is a couple flying in from Germany to look at the car on Friday! If someone goes through all that trouble to buy a car I’m hoping they’re going to restore it perfectly

·
Pedal Smasher
1,954 Posts
474th GT at B&L and 158th US spec GT they made? I think that’s how we are to interpret the B&L numbers.

·
Opeler
57 Posts
@DO`Brien:
Ok, if it go to Germany i see this GT possibly one day on a GT meeting:)
Get you any information about the registration date?

@Gary:
The stamp at the panhard bar body mount is not a really helpful indicator for the build date of a specific GT because the stamp only refer to that specific sheet metal section and not the whole body.
On the later (71 on up to 73) there is usual only stamped “40 0”!

·
RunOpel
831 Posts
Someone has probably done their homework. You just don't fly across the world for nothing. I would bet money this one is sold already. Hard to believe it has 19,000 original miles. I realize its 50 years old, but it sure has been abused for just 19,000 miles driven. I know storage and elements of the environment can take its toll. If it does end up in Germany, hope the new owner will be a participating member with us :)

·
Pedal Smasher
1,954 Posts
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Germans were paying attention to OpelGT.com, looking for our GT’s for sale. GT’s cost a lot more there, so they will snatch up ours for the right price for a specific car. We might have done their homework for them. And $2,500, you can’t buy a shell in Germany for that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Someone has probably done their homework. You just don't fly across the world for nothing. I would bet money this one is sold already. Hard to believe it has 19,000 original miles. I realize its 50 years old, but it sure has been abused for just 19,000 miles driven. I know storage and elements of the environment can take its toll. If it does end up in Germany, hope the new owner will be a participating member with us :)
I hope they will join this site too! It would be neat to see what will happen with the car.

"You just don't fly across the world for nothing" reminded me, a few years ago there was a 90 year old gentleman at my local airport (he's still around and doing well) that had been storing his 1972 GT in his hangar since it was repainted in 1978. He bought it in 1976. My family has a few airplanes and hangars there and the airport has been my second home my entire life - I actually work there now - and I don't know how I had never seen the car before he parked it outside with a for sale sign during the airshow! It was beautiful, had maybe one door ding, not a spec of rust, interior was absolutely perfect minus a tiny rip in the driver's seat, and it only had 26,000 miles on it. It still fired right up and ran and drove great. That was the second Opel I had ever seen and the first Opel I ever sat in and rode in. Obviously, 16 year old me couldn't afford the $10,000 he wanted for it and it ended up selling to a man in Germany who shipped it out after driving it in the 50th GT road trip. The thing that was extremely special about the car to me is that it still had the original license plate frame from the Buick/Opel dealership it was sold at in 1972 that is still in business 15 minutes from my house! It never left our town all those years so it was sad to see it go all the way to Germany.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,049 Posts
Darn Germans They give us something awesome and come back years later to take them back how could you do that to US LOL
They knew how they would rust in Germany, so they sent them here so we could store the cars for them.

·
Super Moderator
13,178 Posts
Darn Germans They give us something awesome and come back years later to take them back how could you do that to US LOL
Payback perhaps??

Lol...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Seller told me there is a couple flying in from Germany to look at the car on Friday! If someone goes through all that trouble to buy a car I’m hoping they’re going to restore it perfectly
I tried to follow up on this but see the car /listing has been deleted.... If you are in touch w/the seller & the car is still available I'm interested in getting it and bringing it to AZ Thanks

21 - 33 of 33 Posts