Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering. Anyboby out there using splitfire spark plugs on their Opel GT and is there any noticeable improvement?

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
i tryed them years ago and only got a 1 BHP diff in power on a rolloing raod the opperator told me to try GOLDEN LODGE from an alfa romeo and these gave me 7BHP so ive always used them ever since
thay have 4 small earth points for idle and as i understand it they spark to the piston at higher revs so giving a larger spark front
i'll pull one later and post a pic to show you what i mean:)

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
split fire

I am using splitfire.I could not tell any difference between the BOSCH that I replaced...biggest difference for me was the pertronix ignitor and a 3 ohm flame thrower coil.

I used the splitfire because timsopelgtsite recommended it.

my car is running really,really good.I have driven 2 prior mantas...
73 and75.the way I have the gt the set up now..it is so much better than the fuel injected 75 or the solexed 73.

so I guess the splitfires are working well..the car doesnt miss out,
pulls well to 5000rpm(as far as I want to take the old gal),starts great when cold...32 degrees no problem...(coldest so far this year).nice steady idle..even at 1000 rpms when cold.

I am interested in the golden lodge plugs!

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Splits not recommended

Awhile a go I did some research on these things.

First of all, the company was sued for false advertising if memory serves correctly.

Secondly, they don't make a whole lot of different plugs so the one that "should" fit might not be exactly the correct one.

Third, since there are multiple "prods" so getting in there to adjust the gap is going to be a bugger. Supposedly they come pre-gapped but over the years I've found the preset gaps to be way off sometimes.

Last, I believe the Bosch makes a similar type plug "multi-prong" and it is platinum. Bosh has been around a long time and has an excellent reputation. I'd give those plugs a shot. I think they are about $7-$8 per plug. I'm not sure if they make one though that fits the GT though.

Now just for fun, shot my first mountable Whitetail this past weekend. It took four of us to drag it out. I'm stil sore and puffin'.

Not a huge rack but the neck and body were huge. Wasn't going to munt it but the wife insisted. Gotta love her!:D

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
hi the golden lodge plug is not adjustable as you can see in pic
I use a "25 HL" and they have been great in opel, jag and lotus engines so im happy :D
to dakotaguy i hope you told thumper that his friend is now an orphan :p
theres room for all gods creatures right next to the mashed potatoes:D

Attachments

·
Opeler
94 Posts
federal trade commission ruling

www.ftc.gov/os/1997/02/splitfir.htm[/URL]

there's the link to federal trade commission ruling about splitfire plugs.

Basically they put out unsubstantiated statements and whatnot.

Makes me wonder about the company.

Hey Bazman, always good to hear from the Brits. I'll raise a pint of Guiness up to you as I savor the flavor of "God's Creature":D

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
be happyer with a pint of nice warm bitter(old cliche' but true)theres a nice pic of one in the gallery under red beer(?):D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I wasn't aware of Splitfire's questionable reputation. I think I'll check out the golden lodge plug as baz suggested.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Where to purchase the Golden Lodges

baz said:
hi the golden lodge plug is not adjustable as you can see in pic
I use a "25 HL" and they have been great in opel, jag and lotus engines so im happy :D
Where can you get these here in the States? I did some web searching but came up empty. Best thing I could find were the Bosch Platinums.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts