Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make my Opel look good and be fast at the same time but I am not sure if a spoiler would be more of a power drainer than horse power boost. I got the idea from GT FREAK's pictures that I saw on this site I will try and post it.

gt_lake - Opel Photo Gallery

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
A flat decorative spoiler will give a little bit of aero help and some style. If you want a more functional spoiler for a beefed up motor and high speeds a spoiler that is adjustable or sits higher will help push the car down at high speeds thereby adding more grip and stability.

Go to Opel GT Source --- Welcome and click on their PICS album and look at GIL's Red GT with the Toyota Supra Spoiler.

I've also thought about a spoiler from a Chevy Cobalt SS, or Dodge Neon SRT.
The Cobalt spoiler would need you to move the gas tank filler neck though.

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
Unless you buy one that has been designed and tested on a GT I'm afraid it is going to be a ineffective. Think about the electrically operated spoilers that only raise up after a certain speed unless you manually override the programming. You generally increase drag BUT gain high speed stability. Remember when the NASCAR pit crew boys use to get caught 'accidently' flattening out their driver's rear spoiler. It increased top speed but loosened the car up, sometimes dangerously.

Front and rear spoilers need to work together to balance the car. Too much on the back will increase lift on the front.

Harold

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Spoiled with Spoilers

Here are two options to consider, the smaller one from a Dodge Neon SRT, and the larger one from a Toyota Supra (like Gil Wesson's GT).

Not sure how wide the Neon spoiler is... you may need to track one down and take measurements and see where it would sit on the back of the car.

I know the Toyota spoiler fits the GT. Only modification you would need to make is adding some rubber or foam between the spoiler and the body to adjust to the GT body line, or you could fill in between the two and mold it into the body. (Not a great idea for future repairs though.)

Attachments

·
Opelicious
176 Posts
just please, please, please don't go to autozone and bolt on a craptastical fast & furious spoiler... Or get one of those double or triple decker ones either...

·
Opelicious
176 Posts
and maybe a smoke machine in the back that vents the smoke into the wheel wells? Tho those are much more fun on a FWD car!

·
Registered
909 Posts
I think that the spoiler issue is definitely one of individual taste. The GT is a very slippery design to begin with, beatiful with or without "extras". My personal preference is with spoilers and skirts. I found that the 2000 Celica GT spoiler fits very well on the GT with the downturned tips curve matching the GT rear end. It mounted just outside of the deck panel seams and sets back far enough to be behind the gas cap. It "looks good to me" and that's all I need. I won't be pushing my 40 year old car too far to have neglegible handling effects with it I hope when I get it on the road...well, I'll be trying not to.

Attachments

·
1,175 Posts
I want to make my Opel look good and be fast at the same time but I am not sure if a spoiler would be more of a power drainer than horse power boost. I got the idea from GT FREAK's pictures that I saw on this site I will try and post it.

This one is more of an air-brake and the one on the Toyota is way too tall. It's shape is also made to go with the car it's on and may not go with the GT's shape. It looks good though. The Celica one posted by Ken above seems to work well. I suppose the ends could be trimmed too. There is one like a reverse crescent that was posted by the guy who customizes GT's (Blancojp) that looks good. It might work with the GT's with no hard top.

·
Registered
108 Posts
OGTS has a nice spoiler that has the upside-down U look, and it has a cutout for the gas cap...

·
self admitted opel addict
227 Posts
I have the one with the cut out from OGTS... in hindsight I think I would have preferred the one you are looking for Ben. Just the flip on the backside is a better idea.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I'm don't like that particular rear spoiler from OGTS either. Looks too bulky of a design on such elegant body design. I love the one Dennis Gardiner has on his GT... but they're not made anymore.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi,

Here are some pictures of an old LENK catalog.

But if you want your GT more sports, agressive, I would first consider spending money on nice wide rims with a negative ET. Also I would lower the GT a bit, and get a custom paintjob.

I definitely would not get a lot of plastics on the body. It is so 80's
But I agree, It is a mather of what you like the most yourself.

And I have to admit, I like the GT of GTfreak a lot.

Geert

Attachments

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
This is the spoiler I would LOVE to have. It used to be listed with OGTS as Polyeurothane Rear Spoiler. I've been told the company who made them went under :sigh: and they're no longer available.

If anyone has one they would like to sell, I would love to make a mold off of it so fiberglass ones can be made! Contact me if you know of one!

Attachments

·
101st Airborne 1/327 Inf
1,322 Posts
With the risk of having my good friend Harold sending me a PM on my rear air control selection, I can say that my first GT was modified with a rear spoiler just like Ben (reply #8). But plan to attach a rear wing like the one below, but at a shorter span of only forty-nine inches. Sorry Jared...:lmao:

Attachments

·
2,054 Posts
... but I am not sure if a spoiler would be more of a power drainer than horse power boost...

... I got the idea from GT FREAK's pictures that I saw on this site I will try and post it.

1. Good news! It's tough to make a bad choice with the GT. They look good with, and without, spoilers.

2. You won't get a power boost, but rather, some drag and possible increased stability.

3. I like the look of GT Freak's spoiler. Actually, I like the whole look of the car as it's reminiscent of the Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe; even his paint job. All he needs is to block out the vent windows and add the racing number 26 and some white side pipes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like GTfreaks spoiler

Sorry everyone I have been busy this holiday.

I have looked at all the posts and like all of the responses I have been getting. I really like GTfreaks spoiler, but I'm not sure if I want one that big. GTfreaks GT has been the one I have been basing my project on. I think I might fabricate one like his, not as high as his though. Does anyone have opinions about doing that?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts