Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 2006 Spring AutoFair is now in the books. We didn't have the turnout we had hoped for due to weather forecast but after an early morning shower, it turned out to be a decent day with just a few sprinkles here and there.
Tom Adkins came with his rare 1.1L green all original GT and he took home the "Best In Show" award. The "Runner-up Best In Show" award went to Brian Quick. The "1st Place" award went to Laurie and Floyd Schwartz. The "People's Choice Award" went to Dieter and the "Honorable Mention" went to new Carolina Opel Club member Ed Dingo. Others bringing their Opels were Helmut Guehr, Roy Bell and John May. Attending the show were Harold Collins and Keith Lundholm from Tennessee. Last year's overall Best In Show winner, Dallas Mize and his super good looking yellow GT was there on display in the Pavilion. No doubt, he would have won something if he was able to compete with us!
Many people came by and looked our cars over with many really wanting to know more information on how they could find one.
Tom Adkins was eligible to return on Sunday to compete against the other 54 car clubs for the overall "Best In Show" award for the entire AutoFair. Although he didn't win, he was able to be recognized as he drove his GT in front of the crowd and had his picture taken with Humpy Wheeler who owns Lowe's Motor Speedway. By the way, he was beaten out by a 1956 Thunderbird.
We all had a great time and hope many of you will be able to attend the Fall AutoFair in September. More on that show as time gets closer to the dates.
Attached below are photos of the award winners and their trophies and plaques. More pictures are being posted in the Carolina Opel Club photo section of this web site!

·
9,642 Posts
Roy;
Again, I have to apologize for not making it, and it's not for the lack of trying. But, if I had not gone, Dieter would not have been there to get his award.:D I will make plans to hopefully be there in the fall. I did see that those who attended looked like it was a great time, despite Mother Nature not being nice. Tom good to see you and Ms Opel again, but, I'll be seeing you in Carlisle soon, Roy, I'll see you in Carlisle too. Harold, you'll just have to come down to Snellville for the Orphan Car Show, looks to be shaping up as a good year for Opels (looks like maybe 15 at least!!!)

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Yee Haw!!

Congratulations Opelers - looks like Opels are becoming a force to be reckoned with in the car show circuit. They will be getting known and popular next ... and everyone who wants awards will have to have one!

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Lowe's

Thanks again Roy for being a great host. As always, everything was wonderful. My family and I had a great time. The BBQ was wonderful too.

It was great seeing everyone. It is nice to see all the great Opels. Congratulations to everyone.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,375 Posts
Again my apologizes for not coming as well. Sent out of town at the last minute.

But at least the Manta was ready, and is now ready for Carlilse. ALthough I have time to "Clean it up" now that I wouldnt have had if I hadnt spent to time getting it ready for your show.

BTW still never found the package, I think my wife threw it away and didnt want to admit it to me.

Charles

·
Super Moderator
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problem Charles. We had a few "No shows" due to the weather and other issues beyond people's control. The one's who did come had a good time (I hope) considering the early morning rain. The weather was fantastic the days leading up to the show and the days after. But those who go to Carlisle know all about the weather.
I think Tom Adkins had a good time since he won the "Best In Show" and received a trophy that is a replica of the Coca-Cola World 600 Nascar trophy. The AutoFair people really do things first class. Tom said he would be bringing that trophy to Carlisle in a few weeks. I told him to bolt it to the hood of the GT and drive it all over Ohio! :lmao:
The Fall AutoFair is in early September. More information on that show later.

·
Greenopelgt
350 Posts
Home from Lowe's Motor Speedway

It is only 515 miles from Cincinnati to Charlotte (actually Concord) North Carolina on one route and 511 miles from Concord to Cincinnati coming home another route.

To me. the distance really doesn't matter to me, because the Foodliner Spring AutoFair is by far THE BEST facility and the local coordinators of both event are well organized and extend that good ole Southern hospitality.

This event is by far THE BEST car show I have participated in (and I have been to more than a few).

From the time I arrived, Roy Bell ( President of the Carolina Opel Club) shared his vision of the weekend. Roy knew the agenda of the Lowe's Motor Speedway, he had created relationships, in advance, with the support and special events staff, and he had us all covered.

I arrived Friday mid-day, and I spent 3 days at the Lowe's Motor Speedway at the AutoFair as a guest of the Carolina Opel Club and it did not cost me
a penny (except for what I chose to eat, drink or purchase).

The fact is, everyone who wants to attend the next AutoFair in the Fall, can also either be a member of the Carolina Opel Club (with or without an Opel) and get in to the Lowe's Motor Speedway for the Carolina Opel Club display day for FREE. All you have to do is let Roy know (in advance) and he will get you a participant pass (FREE) folks.

I enjoyed getting up at 5:00 am to let the woodpeckers (Harold and Keith) in from the wilds. I even endured the morning storm and the lingering showers pretty good (I have Carlisle experience to thank for that). I truly enjoyed talking to and seeing the other Opels and people interested in Opels. I enjoyed inviting the crowd to participate in our People's Choice Award voting because if we didn't get outsider votes we would be voting only among ourselves. I loved the many many stories I heard from the visitors and those among us. I liked driving Ms. Opel through the countryside roads once driven on by THE INTIMINATOR. I found almost every type of car that I wanted to see PLUS there were acres and acres of land inside and outside the Motor Speedway that I never had time to lay an eyeball on. I enjoyed seeing and even meeting Past "BEST OF SHOW" winners, seeing the current "BEST OF SHOW - $120,000 - 1957 Ford Thunderbird. And yes, I appreciated receiving the "Best of Show" trophy awarded by the Carolina Opel Club - a replica of the 600 Coke Race - I understand. Finally, I am awaiting my picture taken with the Lowe's Motor Speedway owner " Humpy" as I drove "PIT ROW" in front of the crowd watching the parade of the Best of the Best.

Finally, we all (the entire Opel community) need to send our thanks to our Opel volunteer leaders like Roy and Yvonne Bell, who opened up not only their home, their grill, their friends and relatives, their network and most of all their hearts to all of us who attended or who waited near their computer for a summary and a few pictures.

Thanks again, I enjoyed everything if you had any doubt. I encourage as many of you (as possible) to join us in Carlisle next month.

Peace and Good Fortune to all.

Tom Adkins
Cincinnati, Ohio

·
opel snob
156 Posts
Roy,

I feel the need to apologize as well, I'm sorry I couldn't make it either.. I had all the arrangements, and a room, but with a 2 month old daughter, you're at her beck and call... She wasn't having a 10 hour road trip on Friday.. Hope you guys had fun, I'll definatly come in the fall..

I will make the Orphan show, next month.. I've already made plans for grandma to help with that weekend!

dave

·
Super Moderator
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tom, I'm glad you got back home safe and sound. You are right about the AutoFair. It is done in a first class manner. Even though it is in the heart of muscle car land, the Opels are welcome along with other foreign cars.
My wife and I are just happy to have good people come to visit such as Opel people! We were glad to have you stay with us. I'll be seeing you and others at Carlisle!

·
Super Moderator
8,142 Posts
greenopelgt said:
I enjoyed getting up at 5:00 am to let the woodpeckers (Harold and Keith) in from the wilds.

Tom Adkins
Cincinnati, Ohio
I've been called a "peckerwood" before but not a "woodpecker". Heck y'all should have all been up by then. Keith and I were up until 2:00. I wanted to knock earlier and Keith wouldn't let me. :D

I enjoyed the meet also even if the weather could have been better. I don't have much to compare it to but it is hard to imagine that it could be much better.

Harold

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Harold, you should have woken him up. We couldn't get him up at the Fall show, so we all started calling him. He and Dennis must have had too much of the "Double A" the night before, then he tried to blame it on his wife. :haha: :lmao: Jarrell

·
Super Moderator
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have to blame it on somebody so it may as well be my wife! When Tom went to the door to see who it was knocking at 5 AM, Harold told him "Police Officers". I bet Tom started to wondering what kind of house he was sleeping in! :haha:

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,375 Posts
Ooooner said:
No problem Charles. We had a few "No shows" due to the weather and other issues beyond people's control. The one's who did come had a good time (I hope) considering the early morning rain. The weather was fantastic the days leading up to the show and the days after. But those who go to Carlisle know all about the weather.
I think Tom Adkins had a good time since he won the "Best In Show" and received a trophy that is a replica of the Coca-Cola World 600 Nascar trophy. The AutoFair people really do things first class. Tom said he would be bringing that trophy to Carlisle in a few weeks. I told him to bolt it to the hood of the GT and drive it all over Ohio! :lmao:
The Fall AutoFair is in early September. More information on that show later.
Will definately make every attempt to be there in the fall.

As for weather.. what are you insinuating... ;) Carlilse is always sunny and in the 70s during the show.. (OK. usually that day is Sunday.. but whos counting).

Charles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts