Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably one of the most useful tools to when working on the GT's front suspension is J-21689, which is no longer available but is shown in the Factory Service Manual (FSM).
J-21689.jpg

Keith Wilford in the following thread created his own version of this tool. The below pictures detail the idea. There is one shortcoming to the stock design, it relies on the bracket attached in the middle on the bottom of the spring. If this fails, then the tool wouldn't work.

IMGP3221.JPG IMGP3223.JPG IMGP3222.JPG IMGP3232.JPG IMGP3224.JPG IMGP3227.JPG IMGP3228.JPG

Another forum member, I can't remember who, created their own spring compressor to avoid this potential problem, however the basic idea is the same.
PA070144.JPG PA070145.JPG

·
Registered
729 Posts
With the suspension out of the car, I managed the trick with a 1"x3" length of maple and a pair of large "C" clamps, all from my local Lowe's. Important to use a hardwood as a pine board may not be sufficient. I replaced the spring with the lowering spring from OGTS that does not require the tool for installation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts