Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are there any springs from another car that will work in a 71 ascona wagon? we have one here and the prev. owner cut the front springs to lower it. trying to find something that will fit. i did some poking around on the internet and came up with miata springs as getting pretty darn close in measurements. anybody have any inputs?

·
Super Moderator
8,156 Posts
Are you just looking for something different? :confused: There are probaby several members that have extra sets and I'll bet they'll be cheaper than buying Miata springs.

JM2CW,

Harold

·
Registered
33 Posts
springs

i do not know if they will work but you might try a chevette , also i have a set for a 74 wagon if you need them just pm me

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, we were looking to replace the cut springs with a progressive miata lowering spring as they can be had for about 40$ a set

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
well, we were looking to replace the cut springs with a progressive miata lowering spring as they can be had for about 40$ a set
Simon;
Most of us have stripped a few cars and have several sets of both front and rear Manta/Ascona springs. What we're asking is, do you WANT to go with the Miata springs, or go back original? I have several sets of Manta/Ascona front/rear springs myself.

·
Registered
179 Posts
the reason he is asking is he wants lowered units not stock

we want to replace the cut springs with a real engineered lowered units not return to stock..fyi this is my son .....lol he is trying to come up with a lower cost solution for aftemarket lowered springs for ascona...we like the lowered look looking for springs that will give same look but better ride than cut springs.....:yup:
Simon;
Most of us have stripped a few cars and have several sets of both front and rear Manta/Ascona springs. What we're asking is, do you WANT to go with the Miata springs, or go back original? I have several sets of Manta/Ascona front/rear springs myself.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Just checked with Coil Spring Specialties about
twirling up some coils for the wagon.

Gulp....

Front - 2 inch drop, 275lb spring rate
Rear - 2 inch drop, 170lb spring rate

$544.80
(Yeow!)

I think my ride height is quite satisfactory
thank you.

·
Super Moderator
8,156 Posts

Gulp....

$544.80
(Yeow!)
It's only money! :sigh:

I recently purchased some springs for the front of a little truck that I'm working on. They aren't cheap. Now I have to try to find a spring for the rear of my little dump truck. I'll probably have close to $400 total in mine. Definitely not what I had planned on doing when I purchased the truck.

RB is selling gussets for the lower control arms. Heck you might want to see what his price is for doing up a set for you. He uses a different ball joint that drops the front 7/8". Cut the rear springs and you may be happy with that and come out cheaper. :dunno:

Harold

·
Registered
524 Posts
7/8's might work. I just went from 60 series tires to
50 series. Good news - it's a half inch lower. bad news-
it looks a half inch higher. 7/8's would put it back to
stock looking. And get new ball joints in the bargain
if I'm readin' right. RB is who?
Thanks,
Don.

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts

Gulp....

Front - 2 inch drop, 275lb spring rate
Rear - 2 inch drop, 170lb spring rate

$544.80
(Yeow!)

I think my ride height is quite satisfactory
thank you.
Ouch! Yea, that's ridiculous. I remember when they cost $125 per pair....so that's $250 per set. Guess they are charging a bit more these days.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Oh yeah, RB, Duh.
With California roads the way they
are these days it's probably a pretty
good idea to look into said modification.
It looks pretty herky, (herky-tough, strong,
up to the task.) And keep a little clearance
underneath is not a bad idea either.
Thanks,
Don.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts