Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Driver
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sprint exhaust manifold

Just for S & G's I checked out getting Sprint manifolds reproduced.
One place says they can make them for $30 a piece!! Sweet. Oh, only one problem. They need a minimum order of 1500. Well it was worth a shot.
:D

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Repro Sprint Manifolds

There are 2851 of us so if only half of us need/want a sprint manifold we are almost there! Who wouldn't want a brand new exhaust manifold for $30? And a couple of spares!

·
Registered
49 Posts
custom headers or spring manifold?

Any idea how long it would take to get them?

I'm considering having custom headers made for mine instead of trying to find a sprint exhaust manifold. I would be interested if this could happen within a month or two.

This sure would sure be a lot cheaper!

·
199 Posts
Sprint Manifold

At $30.00 I'll take two. One to use and one as a spare.

That's 12 so far and if my math is correct at $30 each for a run of 1500 the 12 would only cost $3750.00 each. If we could get 225 orders the price would be $200.00 each. See we don't need 1500 orders.

Brian :)

·
Driver
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is what they said,

The casting company requires 1500 unit minimum to make them.

Cost would be $39.20 per manifold with 50% due at time of order.

Order to delivery time is apoprox 6-9 months.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Hey, I'm dumb! Explain the Sprint manifold and what changes are in store. What vehicle model will it work for? etc. etc.
:confused:

·
Currently in Opel Detox.
78 Posts
Here's my next thought.

How about one of those reall thick "shorty" style headers that dimensionally reproduce the 1.9 manifold.

We could even have them in kits of 1 piece head flange, 1 piece pipe flange and 3 or 4 tubes that we'd have to each weld or have welded.

Some of those late model mustang "shorty" headers are made of some real nice thick material.

And by the way I know how much of a pain every Opel Header has ever been, but I've also never had a problem with all of those factory "manifolds" that were basically shorty headers on the late 80's

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
Old Hippie;
The "sprint" manifold come on the 75 F.I. cars. I'm sure there's a few of the euro-spec ones that had these on them, but, here, it was on the 75 models ONLY. It's the same as the 74 and older manifold, but, without the riser part that couples to the intake manifold to provide "heating" for the plenum area. Here's two pics of it, this one was modified by removing some of the cast webbing between the runners. You can see where the riser area is missing.

Attachments

·
137 Posts
What specific area(s) of the sprint manifold needs to ground away or machined to make it fit a non FI engine? Does anyone have a photo with the areas marked?

Thanks ...Ken

·
184 Posts
That's my Sprint manifold shown. The only area needed to be removed is a small triangular boss that's located on the upper outside 4 into 1 downtube that goes towards the headpipe mounting flange. Very little work needed. I elected to remove the "webs" between the separate runners. Less radiated heat under the hood, hotter exhaust gas temp, quicker exit velocity. I'll see if I can dig up a photo of an unmodified Sprint.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
BQS4, is it clamped onto the head using a clam, or cup, washer? I guess I need to go out to the garage and look over the engine (since it's out) so that I can "imagine" the set up. But what's the benefits? Cooler carb in the summer, I'd say, but what would it do for winter driving? Would make some repairs easier.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts