Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive my ignorance here but what exactly is a "Sprint exhaust manifold"v. regular one. Were these for a Chevy Sprint or what?

Nice to know when doing searches for one what I'm looking for.

Thanks all

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
The exhaust manifold used on the 1975 Opel Manta, Ascona, and wagon was considered a 'Sprint' manifold. As that final year of US-imported Opels came with fuel injection, they came with an exhaust manifold which had no heat riser (the portion which normally bolts to the underside of a carbureted intake manifold). It is exactly the same manifold otherwise, in terms of fitment to the head and to the downpipe, so it is a direct swap to any non-fuel injected CIH Opel.

The only modification required is the grinding of the triangular protrusion from the top of the exhaust manifold which would otherwise hit the underside of a carbureted intake manifold (alternatively the aluminum intake can be ground away somewhat to lessen the amount of cast iron that needs to be ground from the exhaust manifold).

The naming of the 'Sprint' manifold dates back to late 1967, as this exhaust manifold design was used on the European-spec Opel Rekord 'Sprint'. The Rekord Sprint used a 1.9 litre engine with a special cylinder head (1.9H head to increase compression by about 1/2 point), a pair of 40 DFO downdraft Weber carbs on a special cast aluminum intake manifold, a slightly hotter camshaft, and the aforementioned exhaust manifold. Oh, and the Rekord Sprint also used the 'Opel GT' aluminum valve cover before the Opel GT was in production. All these changes netted an engine rated at 16 ps (metric horsepower, about the same as 15.68 hp) more than a normal 1.9 litre Opel engine with flat-tops. It was essentially a German version of a muscle car, replete with stripes and styled wheels.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
Not even close! If it's not for a CIH Opel engine, it won't fit.

Ironically, the Fiero Store is owned by Richard Smith, the same person who started C & R Small Cars back in 1978. He still has a soft spot for Opels after all these years too....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was just working on putting mine on this weekend. I had one and used it and then sold the car not remembering how hard it was to find one. I have had the one I am putting on now just sitting waiting for the right time to put it on. I discovered my old manifold was busted on the back flang after getting it off ans missing about 3/4" of metal. That would explain the exhaust fumes in the cabin!. I also found that someone had welded a plate over the space where that would normally be open under the carb. I have taken apart many opels, and this was the first time I have ever seen anything like this. I also discovered that there were two gaskets, one on top of the other, in between the manifolds and the block. Strangest mechanics I have ever witnessed. I like the simplicity of the sprint manifld and the fact that it gets the carb up off the exhaust.

·
Opeler
53 Posts
There is a photo posted by ftl in the engine forum found at:

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1630&highlight=sprint+manifold

which shows a modified exhaust manifold with the heat riser cut off and a plate welded in its place.

My questions: Is the Sprint manifold identical to the GT manifold except for the riser? That is to say, does it have larger dimeter tubes or what is it that actually makes it more desirable? Does the featured modification of the welded manifold address the GT shortcomings, or is there more to it than just chopping off a chunk of cast iron?

Bill and the FrankenOpel
Inquiring minds want to know. . .

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
OpelMutt said:
My questions: Is the Sprint manifold identical to the GT manifold except for the riser? That is to say, does it have larger dimeter tubes or what is it that actually makes it more desirable? Does the featured modification of the welded manifold address the GT shortcomings, or is there more to it than just chopping off a chunk of cast iron?
If you look at the first paragraph of my response at the top of the page, you'll see my comments. It is exactly the same internally, the exception is the heat riser.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts