Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much searching for braided stainless brake lines for my manta, I found a place on the net that will make them up for us. Paragon Performance (www.paragonperformance.com) offers a club discount of 10%, and I was assured they will list Opels on their site once I confirm that the ones I'm getting are going to work. I gave them the specs for the various line lengths and fittings (thanks to Paul, Dave McCollum, Rallye Bob, and others). Sizing may be a tad off from stock lengths (for example, a set for the GT will be 3 hoses of equal length...around 10 3/4") but their prices are pretty good from what I can tell and braided lines are their specialty. A full set for a manta (two front hoses and the single rear hose) will run around $89, plus you'll get the discount if you tell them you're an Opel club member. I did not give them information on the Kadett lines, but they have the GT and the Manta/Ascona specs. I'm assuming Kadett lines may be the same as the GT, but I didn't relay that to them...if anyone knows for sure, let me know.

***IMPORTANT*** I would advise against ordering from them until I confirm that they are making up the appropriate lines, just to be safe! Mine are due in the next week, so I'll report back when I have them on the car. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

Fingers crossed..

Todd K.

·
648 Posts
Ogts

Guys, SS lines are great....but just so you know, OGTS has always had them for $99 a set. A $10 difference just doesn't seem like a large enough savings to not support one of our few existing full service venders.

Just my 2C,
James

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Opel GT Source was the first place I looked, however I didn't see lines for a manta in their catalog. The front ones are about 6 inches or so longer than those found on the Opel GT.

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,484 Posts
I have bought a couple of sets from OGTS for my Manta's. They normally stock them. If they are out of stock Gil has them made to order in a fairly short time.

Duane

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,484 Posts
Ken,

Perhaps Gil is having problems with his supplier. He used to be able to get them made pretty quickly. I agree that is too long to wait, especially if you are building a car and it is holding up other parts of the project. It's a little different if you are waiting on them for a street car and can continue driving it with the rubber lines for now.

Duane

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In my case, the car isn't safe to drive until I replace those hoses since it's doing the ole "pull to the left then pull to the right" trick. I just didn't see the point in putting rubber lines back on there when I'm planning performance upgrades. Gil should clarify in his catalog that they carry the SS lines, even if they are made on demand. Paragon also only makes the lines as they are ordered, but having all the fittings and hose handy means the delay isn't too long. By the way, the ones I'm ordering are the AN3 diameter versus the AN4, per Bob's recommendation for a stiffer pedal. Also, I'm hoping there's no drilling required in the brackets for the fittings to pass. Not a big deal either way I guess.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
On that same line- It might be time for Gil to update his catalog. I know that he is carring ALOT more than is showing in the online catalog or in his printed version. Now granted - my printed version is now three years old and getting very worn and I know that when he ships an order, you get an udated list of changes, and the cost of redoing and printing a new catalog is VERY expensive, but the increase in bussiness might offset the cost of printing.
JMTCW :)

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the lines in and they look great! I tried to quickly compare them to the stock lines after pulling one of my front rubber lines off this evening (hopefully there are attached pics). I think they're going to work great. Part number is listed on the package as OPL7175, so perhaps that is the new part number for the manta lines. I'll try to get some pics of the installed lines. It looks like the mounting bracket for the upper part of the hose might need to be opened just a tiny amount.

Attachments

·
137 Posts
neuropel ...

Have you installed / tested your new steel braided brake hoses? Any followup report on fit and performance?

Thanks

Ken

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can only tell you at this point that they appear to be of very high quality. The length seems perfect so I see no fitment issues other than opening the hole in the upper bracket just a hair so the new fitting will fit through. It so close that it only needs to be reamed slightly, not really drilled out significantly. I have only test fitted them and I haven't installed them yet as I'm waiting on other brake parts to get in. The diameter of the hose I ordered (AN3) was recommended by Bob L. to give a more solid pedal, but you could also order them with the larger AN4 diameter hose as well if you prefer.

I'm waiting on my Brembo rotors to come in from autobarn.com ($22 each and they give you 10% off right now if you go to their website). Other companies I tried had trouble getting them from the Brembo warehouse but there is apparently ample stock now. Does anyone have recommendations for brake pads? EBC Greenstuff? Hawke?
Does anyone know if/where you can buy the retainer clips for the brake hoses? I'm assuming it's a common item, I just haven't checked anywhere yet.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
ive heard the best brake pads out there right now are these ceramic style ones, although i believe they are a lill pricy and not sure if there avaiable for a gt.

·
1,973 Posts
Is there much of a noticable difference in using the stainless steel braided brake lines over new rubber lines? I dont have anything fancy brake wise I have to do some work now a frozen caliper on the driver side froed the brakes and the heat killed the bearing. ill be replacing with brembo rotors and ebc greenstuff brake pads.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Jordan, et. al., here's a primer on the steel braided lines garnered from my old USAF days. The steel braid is only a covering for a teflon tube inside. It keeps the tube from being damaged by rubbing or wearing. It also helps in maintaining the integrity of the tube by keeping it from ballooning under high pressure applications. The main drawback using these lines, is, once you've crimped the line by bending it too tight, you've got a crease in the tube which weakens it and it will eventually crack and leak at that point. Similar to an aluminum can that you bend back and forth until it breaks in two. Best to use a longer line with a larger radius bend than a short one with a small radius. HTH.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
GT and Manta front pads (both pre-75 and 75) fit BMW, Volvo, Mercedes, etc.. etc .. etc... we shall never be in want of brake pads.

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts