Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,958 Posts
Just plug up the small valve cover hole, the big hole in the cover takes care of the PCV function. Both holes provide a PCV function. Later Opel valve covers deleted the 2nd hole altogether.

You basically have the same set up I had, but I had an SSD and you have DSD's. Like you, I also put a T fitting in my manifold vac hose for my auto tranny.

I eventually made an air box for my carb and ran the big valve cover hose to that, similar to the way the oem set up is. I think that it's beneficial to vent the crankcase to the pre-carb side and let the engine burn up the oil vapors because it reduces engine temps. Other people run the big hose out the bottom of the car. This sounds terrible to me. I tried various ways to vent the crankcase to the air horns and screens. I came up with a workable way to do it, but it wasn't pretty.

Air horns and screens are cool looking, but you're not filtering your air very well. I discovered particles of sand inside my carb after using screens for a while and that freaked me out. I made an airbox with a K+N filter shortly thereafter. PJ also uses an "airbox" sort of thing.

·
Can Opeler
3,208 Posts
The small hole goes to manifold vacuum. Many people like Gordo plug that hole. I prefer to have it connected.

My larger pvc vents to atmosphere through two types of breathers.

The edelbrock breather on the other side of the engine does all the work though.

·
Can Opeler
3,208 Posts
So, you’re saying hook the smaller hose up to the intake hoses, in another t-fitting?
Yes. If you have the automatic GT manifold fitting you should have enough ports though. It goes to the original metered orifice.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
The small hole goes to manifold vacuum. Many people like Gordo plug that hole. I prefer to have it connected.

My larger pvc vents to atmosphere through two types of breathers.

The edelbrock breather on the other side of the engine does all the work though.
Good looken engine bay!

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,958 Posts
The 2.2 and 2.4 valve covers only have the one big outlet, so obviously 2 pcv holes aren't needed. In fact, the outlet on the 2.2/2.4 valve covers is 1/2-2/3's the diameter of the giant hole in stock 1.9 valve covers.

But consider this: If you put a breather at the big hose location and run the hose from the small hole to the the hoses attached to the intake manifold, you are creating a vacuum leak. This will give you all sorts of tuning trouble. Unless you put a very small restricter in the hose, the vacuum from the engine, through the manifold, through the booster/tranny hose, through the valve cover, and then through the breather is a major vacuum leak. You might as well leave your manifold bolts loose, you'll get the same effect.

There's no need to reinvent the wheel. The way me and PJ do/did it is the accepted commonly used method. You're getting yourself befuddled with the use of that older style valve cover on your new fangled 2.2 engine and side drafts. If you had a 2.2 cover(I think Charlie has a brand new never used one), which only has one outlet, you wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Remember when you drove yourself nuts over "unifying your runners"? That wasn't necessary, and neither is worrying about that second hole. If you had 3 holes in your valve cover, would you try to hook all three up? Like I said, Opel realized that only one outlet was necessary to ventilate the crankcase. The second small hose was very prone to clogging and they're often clogged and useless on many people's cars. Just logic it out and you'll realize that the second outlet is pointless.

·
Opeler
693 Posts
Gordo, I have a 2.2 valve cover, but the 1.9 one is chrome.....I know what one you’d choose too ;) haha!
I currently don’t have the small hole in the valve cover connected to anything at all. My mind just got wondering if it should be connected somewhere.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts