Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone purchased one of these listed on eBay? It would seem that he has used that "Opel GT Fastener List" spreadsheet (I don't recall where I got it from, but I think is was from the Yahoo! site) and is supplying all the listed nuts and bolts in stainless steel. 358 of them, versus 311 in the list. More is good. His eBay rating is excellent (99.8% on 1566 feedbacks), so he seems righteous. He wouldn't provide a photo of what is supplied in the kit, which would have been nice, but they're just stainless steel bolts and nuts. At $83, I think I am going to give it a try. Comments?

eBay Motors: OPEL GT MISC FASTENER KIT----------STAINLESS (item 260172483495 end time Oct-25-07 05:32:41 PDT)

OPEL GT MISC FASTENER KIT--STAINLESS-------- CONTAINS 358 STAINLESS FASTENERS FOR THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:------------- FRONT BUMPERETTES, BUMPER, GRILL, FRONT SIGNAL HOUSING, LENS, SIDE MARKER HOUSING, HEADLIGHT FRONT BRACKET, REAR BRACKET, LIGHT COVER, SWIVEL BRACKET,HOOD, HOOD LATCH, WASHER BUCKET HOLDER, WIPER MOTOR, WIPER ARM TO COWL,AIR VENT INTAKE, DASHBOARD PAD, PLASTIC HEATER DUCT, HEATER VENT CONTROL, INSTRUMENT PANEL, HEADLIGHT ACTUATOR, CENTER CONSOLE, LIGHT SWITCH ON DOOR JAM, ROCKER PANEL KICK PLATE, WINDOW GLASS BRACKET, WINDOW RISER-TOP & BOTTOM, WINDOW REGULATOR,REGULAR SUPPORT BRACKET, DOOR PANEL PAD, PASSENGER HOLD ON HANDLE, OUTSIDE DOOR HANDLE, DOOR LATCH, STEERING COLUMN BRACKET, SEAT TO FLOOR, VISOR BRACKET TO ROOF, MIRROR TO ROOF, LUGGAGE DECK, WHEEL WELL CUSHIONS, REAR POP OUT WINDOW, POP OUT WINDOW BRACKETS, SPARE TIRE SUPPORT, FUEL GAUGE SENDER, REAR SIDE MARKERS, REAR BRAKE/TURN HOUSING, LICENSE TO BUMPER, LICENCE BRACKET, REAR BUMPERS. -----WE ARE A STAINLESS FASTENER & HARDWARE COMPANY- UNLIKE OTHERS, WE MAKE THESE KITS HERE-IF THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG, PLEASE LET US KNOW AND WE WILL CORRECT THE PROBLEM--WE HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS SINCE 1991 AND SUPPLY HUNDREDS OF SHOPS ACROSS THE USA.

·
Trouble Maker
1,523 Posts
I've been seeing them on Ebay for a while. If you look at the feedback ratings, 3 people have purchased them. You should try contacting those people directly through Ebay.

I believe that it's the same person who was offering a set free to anyone who gave him a list of fasteners for the engine on the Ad Board.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I would check the quality of these fasteners! Stainless is expensive, and that price is dirt cheap. If you've ever experienced the frustration of dealing with low quality stainless steel fasteners, you know what I mean.
Their threads have a rough finish, so when you tighten them together, the threads gall. They will not come back apart. So you have to cut them off. Which isn't always very easy to do, because it's tough stuff and grinds and cuts real hot.
When I want to do stainless fasteners, I shop it the old fashioned way. Every nut and bolt, matched up one at a time, at the hardware store. Quality hardware store, that is. Cheap is cheap, you get what you pay for.
Just a little advice from someone who's been in the boating business a while. There's nothing worse than cheap stainless nuts and bolts, it will ruin a project.

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
I installed an ARP "stainless" fastener kit on a customers car (built 350) a while back. I found that all the critical load-bearing nuts and bolts to be appropriately high quality, but all the accessory and ancillary stuff was plated.

That being said, I think $83 is worth trying. even if these fasteners are standard quality, then it would be well worth that amount.

·
Super Moderator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Looks like it was taken from Wayne Torman's "Screw List".
Yep, that's the list I have (in Excel format, that can't be attached to posts due to the file type). I should have remembered that it was Wayne who created it

I've been seeing them on Ebay for a while. If you look at the feedback ratings, 3 people have purchased them. You should try contacting those people directly through Ebay.
I hadn't noticed the feedback on the GT fastener sets, but from what was written, it was all good. I don't recognize any of the "handles" on the buyers (dbarr1, *beppi*, and slussa); anyone know these folk? I am not inclined to contact them via eBay, as their feedback is already positive.

I would check the quality of these fasteners! Stainless is expensive, and that price is dirt cheap. If you've ever experienced the frustration of dealing with low quality stainless steel fasteners, you know what I mean.
Their threads have a rough finish, so when you tighten them together, the threads gall. They will not come back apart. So you have to cut them off. Which isn't always very easy to do, because it's tough stuff and grinds and cuts real hot.
When I want to do stainless fasteners, I shop it the old fashioned way. Every nut and bolt, matched up one at a time, at the hardware store. Quality hardware store, that is. Cheap is cheap, you get what you pay for.
Just a little advice from someone who's been in the boating business a while. There's nothing worse than cheap stainless nuts and bolts, it will ruin a project.
I agree that quality is an issue, but he has sold a LOT of stainless steel bolt kits, and has a damn near perfect rating. So for $83, I am about to find out how good the quality is. Stay tuned

That being said, I think $83 is worth trying. even if these fasteners are standard quality, then it would be well worth that amount.
That's what I am thinking. And as much as I would love to have Harold assist in the "evaluation" of this, I think I will just buy them and let you all know.

By the bye, they are re-listed (for me and four of my closest friends) at:
eBay Motors: OPEL GT MISC FASTENER KIT----------STAINLESS (item 250185338222 end time Nov-15-07 05:09:03 PST)

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts

·
Opel Key Master
5,277 Posts
Stainless

I would agree that what I purchased from Fastenal just to cover bumper bolts and the smaller bolts in the engine bay and such, lets say 8 different bolts or nuts in some quanities I would never use ran right over $100.00. I thought of purchasing a kit as well, and I remeber a post stating they wanted a engine bolt spec so they could build a kit for that on this site, and whoever got them the info they would send a kit to free. Now who was it and what was the quality. Also are these people a member active on the site, or did they join to advertise or just get that tidbit of info???
Keith

·
531 Posts
Keith,

As you are a fellow Canuck, you might want to give Pacific Fasteners a call. Pretty much all they do is stainless fasteners, they are essentially a wholesaler, but will do counter sales in any quantity.
Pacific Fasteners: Pacific Fasteners - Contact Us
Phone (604) 294-9411
I have dealt with them quite a bit, they are very close to where I work.

HTH,

jtb

·
Super Moderator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keith,
As you are a fellow Canuck, you might want to give Pacific Fasteners a call. Pretty much all they do is stainless fasteners, they are essentially a wholesaler, but will do counter sales in any quantity.
Pacific Fasteners: Pacific Fasteners - Contact Us
Phone (604) 294-9411
I have dealt with them quite a bit, they are very close to where I work.
HTH,
jtb
Thanks jtb, I'll look into their website. Of course, there is at least one very good fastener supply store here in Calgary, Triad Fasteners, who specialize in metric and also stainless. But the nice thing about the kit is that the bolts are already figured out, or at least as much as Wayne Torman had done, and he is notorious (famous?) for being thorough, if not a bit fastidious.

Also, I exchanged e-mails with *beppi* aka Juergen Heiss, and he offered this comment:

The Fastener Kit: I haven't used it yet, because my GT is just Sandblasted and needs to be Painted, but the screw kit looks very good, and every set ( Lamps, Bumper Front, Bumper Rear etc) is packed separate with a Name Tag. I can't say anything about the Quality, but for me it is the worth the Price. Sincerely Juergen

Sounds positive to me. Oh, and I bought a pair of Juergen's leaf spring separators at the same time, which look pretty good. In any event, the stainless steel bolt kit is bought and paid for and I'll let you all know how they look.

·
792 Posts
Any chance they could do a Ascona or Manta chassis kit??

·
Super Moderator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, back to the serious stuff. My stainless steel fastener kit came in, and I have posted some photos below. I can't say FOR SURE that they are all of the highest quality, or even exactly the correct fasteners for each application. But I CAN say that they all appear to be high quality stainless hardware. And the organization is simply AMAZING! Each set of fasteners are labelled exactly the way Wayne created his fastener list. They came in one large bag labelled "Opel GT Fasteners", that contained eight smaller bags, each labelled according to where the fasteners are used:

1) Front
2) Headlights
3) Engine Compartment
4) Dash
5) Tunnel
6) Doors
7) Interior
8) Rear

Then in each of those bags were two to eleven bags, each labelled with the exact use of the fasteners in each of THOSE bags, such as "Grill", "Front Bumper", "Front Bumperettes" and so on. In total, I think that there are 50 individual bags, all labelled, and a total of 358 bolts, washers, nuts, and screws. I am REALLY looking forward to the assembly of my GT with these fasteners, as they really look good.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is one last photo, and I zipped Wayne's fastener list that is an Excel spreadsheet, so hopefully it will be useful.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Thanks Keith...I was holding off ordering a set until you gave it your seal of approval. So, now I have another excuse to spend more money on my Opels.. I must say this does seem like one bargin. Now do they make a set for the 1900 /Ascona.. I'm thinking of the Car and Driver 1900 as well as the second one that is still in AZ.

·
1,287 Posts
Here it is 2020 and I will be putting my Gt back on the road after 34 years of sitting around in the garage! I know this thread is old but does anyone have the ebay seller info or email address to
see if this is still offered. Thanks for helping.

·
Super Moderator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry, I bought that stainless fastener kit 13 years ago... I believe that Vince (who bought PJ's GT earlier this summer) bought the same kit a few years ago for his first GT's restoration. I'll ask him for the contact info.

I used pretty much the entire kit during my GT restoration, plus about as many again that I bought from a local supplier, a dozen bolts and nuts and washers at a time.

·
GT Owner
394 Posts
Here it is 2020 and I will be putting my Gt back on the road after 34 years of sitting around in the garage! I know this thread is old but does anyone have the ebay seller info or email address to
see if this is still offered. Thanks for helping.
MMS & Accessories Inc.
[email protected]
800-441-9451
mmsacc-stainless.com

1 - 20 of 29 Posts