Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an easier way to get to the bottom-most starter bolt? I know i have to come in from the bottom but i dont have the right size extention so the socket keeps jumping off because of the angle i have to place it at...I tried for probably two hours last night then got sick of it when it started to rain.. any ideas would be great

P.S: I tried using a swivel but the cut is too sharp. I have a three inch extention and a 10 inch extention but one is too short and one is too long

·
Detritus Maximus
2,994 Posts
I use extensions and get the ratchet handle in front of the starter. Sometimes it's easier to do it from above, sometimes from below where you can see it.

·
Super Moderator
9,765 Posts
I agree, I have always removed my starters standing beside the motor. You have to get the right combination of extensions to just get the ratchet out in front of the starter.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
starter bolt

what brand tools are u using snap-on is the only way to go then comes craftsman right behind that. snap-on has a better fit on all bolts. thats what i used with my million extensions and swivels and what not. just keep trying. just an idea maybe use a crows foot and hook a swivel or extension to that or a combo.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,994 Posts
My mistake! My idea is good for the top bolt. Bottom bolt is best done with a right angle wrench. Shaped like an "L". But most people don't have one. Neither do most parts/tool stores. The next best is a short socket that has the universal built into it. If I remember right, the socket/ratchet is hitting the starter and binding up, correct?

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Wrench

Some places sell a "distributor wrench" that will work. Otherwise step-up to the swivel adapter designed for impact tools. They are shorter to the swivel and once you have used one you will throw away all the rest of your u-joint style adapters. Really, the difference is dramatic.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
starter

heres a pic of the tool i use for many of those hard to reach places. very expensive tool they run about 31 bucks for a single size or about 190 for a set of 10. there very handy and a nice investment if u will be needing them a lot. ill include a pic of the tool. which u can order on www.snap-on.com

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
crows foot

The tool above is called a crows foot, and Sears *should* carry a crapsman version that may be a bit cheaper.

Snap-On also makes one that is shaped more like a flare nut wrench than the open end of a combination wrench. It has a smaller overall foot-print and you can get a lot more arc with it.

The one below, in a 15mm is $14.39 from Snap-on online store:

·
Registered
33 Posts
FINALLY

I got it yesterday... still took me twenty minutes to get the bolt out but once it was out getting the bolts back in was ten times easier i ended up using some no name socket and rachet with the three inch extention i mentioned. what i did is i somehow got both hands into that small space (from the bottom of course) and held the rachet still with one hand while i turned it one click at a time with the other... time comsuming but effective given the tools i had to work with. I have the cuts to prove it wasnt easy with crappy tools but its done and she starts now so i mustve did it right... also i replaced the therm housing and therm. (which took less time than to get the top bolt out of the starter heh... anyway... thanx for the suggestions on tools those "crows feet" look very well worth looking into given the amount of space in the engine bay and the size of my hands...Worst thing is i feel like a dumbass now because after i got everything in and working the battery died before i could get the car started again and it was dark but i still put in another battery.. unfortunately the posts were opposite the original so once again (this time not even so car neive) i hooked the batt up backwards... looks like more wires to replace.. im hoping it took the same ones as last time (light relay wires) because then it will be easy... I swear i will never NEVER do anything in the dark again......Ignorance is bliss and i think im falling in....maybe my luck will change when i get the calipers to make the brake system funtional

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.