Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the '72 for a week and the starter crapped out three days ago and the drivers seat hinge/seat adjustment just broke! :confused:
Son took starter off tonite and we've tested it and if we touch a jumper cable to the two terminals where the wire should be jumping the power, we can get the gear to move forward to engage the flywheel. If we put the wire (which we just replaced with new wire and terminal) back on we can get the gear to spin but it won't move forward to engage the flywheel. Does that mean the starter needs to be replaced or what? Is it really something simple after all without having to install a new starter? The prev. owner said starter is two years old. Anybody out there with helpful ideas? I'm heart broken even tho' I knew owning an Opel was not for the faint of heart....
jo :eek:

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
Sounds like the solenoid.

I may just have only the solenoid in my mix of parts.. new even. Its the piece on top of the starter it simple just unscrews.

$20 if I got it.

Call Gil at Opel GT Source, I KNOW he has a ton of those hinges he would love to get rid of.. or should they seem to be in every dealer parts buy out.

Charles

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK--will show this message to my son the mechanic who has thrown his hands up and is having a cold one. Too dark to work on car now tonite. He has to go home (100 miles) in morning--said not getting this fixed to nite is going to eat him up. What dedication. Will be back in touch with you in next few days.
Thanks for you advice and potential help.
Jo

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
jo, i have 2 complete starters i know are good. if you determine it is a starter you need just come get one or pay its postage.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Jo, your son is a mech, so he should know the function of a solenoid, it engages the starter gear in the flywheel and connects the battery to the starter motor to turn it. Inside the solenoid is a very large washer, it is under the plastic cap where the terminals are, this washer makes contact with the upper terminal from the battery, the lower terminal, with is connected to the starter, and the small right terminal which powers the coil during starting. The small left terminal is what makes the solenoid piston move which in turn makes all the rest of the stuff do its' thing. If you can get the solenoid piston to move and slide the starter gear out, and you can get the starter motor to turn, then it appears the solenoid may be functioning, but the large connector washer and its' contacts are eroded away. It may be possible to turn the washer over and rotate the contacts 180 degrees, I don't know, but I used to do that on my old 50 chevy that many years ago. If not, the solenoid Charles has will cure the problem. There are two screws that hold it onto the starter and I believe it must be rotated and pulled back off the piston. HTH.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Jo, I deleted you e-mail by mistook this morning, but figured I owed you a response. There are a lot of folks on this site that are not certified mechs, but still do a better job on their cars than some certified mechs do. I didn't become a "certified" mech until after I was retired from the USAF. Now I am certified to work on aircraft, but not cars. Oh well. I like the attitude of look at it, figure it out, step back and check it again, then go for it. That will save a lot of problems further on down the road. I've seen too many jump in with both feet and not have a clue as to what their doing or why something doesn't work. You got a good mech there with a logical head on his shoulders, he should be able to keep your GT running like a fine watch, once he gets it all figured out. It took me many years to get confident to do an engine teardown and rebuild, but after the first time, and everything worked as advertised, it was a great feeling of accomplishment. Enjoy driving the GT, it is a blast!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts