Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
2,054 Posts
Electrical is all good now. I hooked up my main fuse box power source (fusible link & 10 gage red with white stripe wire) to the wrong side of the solenoid,

But here's the weird thing; when the engine catches and I release the push-button starter switch, the starter stays engaged for 1 or two full seconds. Sounds retched of un-nerving. It can't possibly be good for the starter. Any ideas of the source of the problem?

·
Über Genius
9,582 Posts
The main power should come from the top center bolt on the solenoid.
If it's connected correctly and your starter stays engaged then you have bigger issues.
Of course if it's not connected correctly then that could be your problem. I seem to recall that happening to me with my first Opel.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
70opelGT1
The first couple of times it would not start I took a long screwdriver and shorted the starter across the hot lug and the relay positive on the drivers side of the starter. I hooked up a starter button by running a couple of wires thru the firewall and putting alligator clips on them, then hook the clips to the parts I was shorting across. Wire a starter button to the other ends. Now I turn on the key and see if the starter will engage, if not I hit the starter button and she starts spinning.
Bingo, Hell of an idea, simple to do, & easily removed when a new switch is installed, I like :yup::yup:

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
That's just it, last fall when the starter kicked on, fried the teeth on the fly wheel in a 10 in. area. :bs2: Only did it 1 time, no more, immediately disconnected the relay. Now waiting for stage 2 failure :haha::haha: still not repaired, been working fine since. No worries mon :lmao:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have to go with Brad on this one. Disengage the relay and don't use it til you put in a new switch. Seems some folks do not want to acknowledge this problem is out there. If the relay is to be promoted folks also need to be made aware of this possibility.
Hi there where do i fine the starter relay on the 160 please help

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's just it, last fall when the starter kicked on, fried the teeth on the fly wheel in a 10 in. area. :bs2: Only did it 1 time, no more, immediately disconnected the relay. Now waiting for stage 2 failure :haha::haha: still not repaired, been working fine since. No worries mon :lmao:
Where is the relay on the a160 please

·
1,861 Posts
Not sure what Opel model you are referring to. What is being discussed in this thread only relates to the 70s Opel GT models.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts