Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a real mind twister... :confused:

I have hade my car(GT 1900 model year 1970) for year now and the starter never really worked properly so I bought a new one that I have seen work it was covered in oil so I cleaned it up. I bought it form a used car shop.

The battery where dead so I recharged it for 12-14 hours because it had been sitting all winter... the battery one year old…

When I but the new starter in the car it wouldn’t work... I can get the starter to "click" and nothing ells... I have checked that the wiring is right.
The starter coil doesn’t work so the previous owner had it hot wired (hope you know what I mean)…

When I but power directly to the startermotor it will turn but not move forward…

Now the questions how do I get my car starting again... :( :eek:

·
Registered
41 Posts
info

I am sure you are positive that the engine turns over by hand (is free and not locked) Soooooo you said that you have checked the wiring. With a test light OR a volt meter? The wire that is only hot when you are holding the key into the "crank" position to start should have 12 volts or more. A test light only shows voltage NOT how much. If this is OK then I would have a partner hold the ignition into the start position and feel the engine grounding straps....Are they getting hot? If so you have a poor engine ground. If all of these things are OK then you definately have a starter problem. Only in a pinch would I ONLY change the selenoid..(thats just me though) I always change the selenoid and starter motor as a unit. Hope this helps.

·
415 Posts
Back in the late '70's when I had my first GT I had a bad solenoid that caused what you are discribing. For a while I could only start it by jumping the termilals on it with a long insulated screwdriver or parking on a hill.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Inside the solenoid is a very large copper washer attached to a sliding pin. When the solenoid gets power the pin slides to the rear and the washer makes contact with two copper buttons at the same time the starter gear also slides forward and engages into the flywheel ring gear. The washer creates a path through the buttons for battery power to go to the starter motor. I have, on other starter solenoids been able to replace the washer, turn it over, and rotate the buttons 180 degrees. All this is to ensure the constant arcing and sparking that has eroded the washer and contact buttons now has a "new" contact surface. You may be able to mix and match the parts between your "old" starter and "new" one to make something work. HTH.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
CodeMasteR said:
The battery where dead so I recharged it for 12-14 hours because it had been sitting all winter... the battery one year old…

When I but the new starter in the car it wouldn’t work... I can get the starter to "click" and nothing ells...
If the battery has been sitting flat all winter then it is DEAD! No amount of recharging will bring it back to life. The "clicking" tends to confirm this as that is the usual symptom of a flat battery. Try to borrow a battery from a car that starts - a battery that you know is good - and use that to try and start the car.
HTH

·
427 Posts
Jim beat me to it and I agree.. if for no other reason than I went thru the exact thing earlier this week. I finally decided to do something with one of my trucks I had out back that had been sitting for almost a year. And after unsuccessfully trying to charge a fairly new battery, I replaced it and found the old one had a dead cell. Think it would be my first place to start as well... eliminate the easy/obvious first. And if nothing else, hey... Opels are so easy to push start by yourself! lol

·
Opeler
159 Posts
tips or hints

it looks like i need to refurb or replace my solenoid but i can't reach the screws so i think i need to pull the starter off first. problem is i can't reach the bolt that faces the firewall. do i have to do this from underneath the car or is there a trick to it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts