Opel GT Forum banner

Starter stuck on

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  oldopelguy 
#1 ·
Starter problem

Got the manta to run. One problem the starter does not shut off. I realize that it might be a bad starter but I think it might not be that as the car that I dropped the running engine into (including the starter) had a cut and hacked wiring harness. I have cobbled 2 harnesses together using another harness to make it as close to original as I can.

I will change the starter and see if that works but I suspect I will have the same problem.

My question is what wires could I have mixed up or have crossed that would keep the starter running?

Thanks,
Calvin

#3 ·
I recently went through the same bit.

There is a transparent wire that runs from coil to the fuse box, and I had reconnected it one place over ( i think to #4 when it should of be #3 ) Getting up under the dash to the fuse box is crappy, feet hanging in there air, blood running to your head, all sorts of things can get crossed.:D

Anyway check that.

Jen

#5 ·
i dont know how relavent this is since my problem was on a GT but anyway i had 2 wires that plug into the starter switched around backwards.

#6 ·
If you have a mess of wires, I suggest removing every wire that does not look stock and start replacing the bad ones.

Try this....
turn the key into the run position
then go over and jum the starter solinoid
if the motor starts and the starter stops
then the problem is the ignition switch.
if it is still cranking then it is most likely your starter.

#7 ·
Well I tried three starters yesterday, the original and two more just to make sure...same problem. I tried 2 ignition switches one new same problem so it is the wiring... sigh.

The one thing though if I turned the key to the on position it always started to crank no mater what ignition I used. I know it is not the ignition cause I simply touched the wires together and it would crank.

I matched up all the wires in the car where they were cut I don't know what was cut in the engine compartment. I ran a wire straight to the starter from the ignition switch the other wire from the starter goes to the coil; there is the battery and the large red wire also to the starter. There is one red wire that runs to the alt. and another wire that the book say should be black and red that goes to the alt in my case it is red and connects to a wire that is red and white. I can’t find a thick black and red wire anywhere…. I guess I will have to cut open the bundle in the engine compartment and start following things back.

#8 ·
Mine did the same thing. At the end of the ignition swith is like a small box, inside this box there is 2 small contact points. What happens is a bridge developes between the two points. That is why when you turn the key it wants to start. Clean the bridge out between the two points and it is Fixed. So it might not be the swith where you put the key, but the swith that turns at the end of the ignition swith. I hope that helps......

Stanley_P

#9 ·
switched wires

Disconnect the wire that goes from the starter to the coil and try to turn over the motor. Odds are good it won't even try to turn. If so, the 2 small wires on the starter are on the wrong terminals. Swap them and see how it goes.

KISS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.