Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 72 GT that needs some love, been sitting for over 10 years, and had various back yard fixes to keep it running before then it seems. I got it from one of the long time owners, and he said it has seen some snow in CO and at some point drifted into a barbed wire fence and quite a few snow banks. I rent a shop space with a couple buddies so I have a lift when I need it, and the body looks like it actually has fairly minimal rust overall, just typical rot behind the wheels. Not sure if i'm going to have a go at that before sending it off for paint, or send it straight to one of the body shops in our area and let them do it. Looking to do a get it rolling and enjoyable type of resto, and the laundry list of things is ever growing. I do want to enjoy it a bit before pulling it down for bodywork, that much I know. I don't even know if i'll enjoy the car dynamics or fit(i'm 6'2"), so no point dumping $$$ until I have an idea. I used to be into first gen rx-7's so i'm used to tiny cars, just sold my last of those to make room for this. I also have a mk2 supra I play with from time to time and needs standalone efi/turbo to get to the next level, but the suspension/brakes/interior/exterior are all done and it runs well, and i can't bear taking it down until I have something else fun to drive while I do it. I also have an 86 VFR 700 i restored, Japanese import 86 VFR400R in the home garage i'm working on restoring, and a Japanese import 91 Nissan Caravan i'm slowly modernizing as we daily drive it.
Normally I'm anti northern cars due to rust, but the PO did a great job keeping the salt off it from what I can tell. Coming from semi modern cars, this electrical system seems like a fire waiting to happen. Doesn't help that someone ran a huge amp behind the passenger seat with a 10awg wire straight from the battery with no fuse at all except the one built into the amp. They've done a number on the fusebox as well.

I'm thinking i'll most likely start with electrical stuff, battery behind the passenger seat and clean up the fuse box while I'm at it. I read that headlight wiring is particularly dangerous, so that too.
See about getting the tank lined and replace every bit of fuel hose I can find, rebuild the weber carb.
Replace the brake hoses and see if the stock brakes are decent enough or if i should go for one of the many swaps i've read about(some even fit under 13's).
Suspension seems safe for now, can focus on that at a later date. Always nice driving a car stock so you can feel the difference when you go poly bushings all around etc. New federal 595 tires coming in soon so i can wheel this thing of of the shop to clean it up, will see how I like them in 185/70 13, the full set mounted and balanced is going to cost me less than just 1 tire on the Supra.
It's got some weird old aftermarket sunroof that apparently barely stays latched at speed and wants to eject itself so i need to source something to replace it, or get the hole patched up if i paint in the future, and drive with that top off only for now.
The interior has seen some mice, so i'll rip out the carpet and replace. The dash is super bad, but we'll see if I can hold off on digging into that can of worms until after i get it running or not, depends on how much of the wiring I dig into... Seats are terrible, but stock, so cheapie seat covers until I get around to OGTS vinyl covers.

TL;DR Thanks for keeping all the old posts out there and available for research, I've learned a ton without even turning a wrench on this thing. Happy to be fortunate enough to start a resto and learn a few things along the way. I'll start a build thread when I actually start getting parts in and completing jobs just to give a modern update on these tasks I'm only finding info on from 10+ years ago on here.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The nice thing about Colorado is it’s a no salt state, or it used to be when I lived there. Before you do too much driving clean out the side floor vents, there’s a drainage system that gets easily plugged up.
The front, middle & rear look solid it looks like the sides behind the front wheel wells and rocker panels got the worst of it. If you clean what you can and dig into that area it will help preserve what you have and you’ll learn while you’re at it.
I agree with you, getting the electrical and headlight wiring squared away is P-1, I have added additional fuses to the headlight wiring in front of the radiator for additional peace of mind. It really looks like your approach is very sensible. Congrats! You’re GT looks like it has great potential. Nice rack BTW!! Have fun :)

·
Vendor
2,588 Posts
Welcome to the community.
It looks like you have a good starting point for your goal of a reliable driver GT. You have already done some research, and came up with what sounds like a reasonable plan for getting there. Rust has scuttled a lot of these cars, but as you noted, this one looks remarkably solid. As far as your question about how you will fit in the GT, I am also 6'2" and found the car to be comfortable and surprisingly roomy with the stock seats. Good luck with your project, and keep us posted.
Cheers,
Ron in FL

·
Opeler
914 Posts
Welcome to the community.
It looks like you have a good starting point for your goal of a reliable driver GT. You have already done some research, and came up with what sounds like a reasonable plan for getting there. Rust has scuttled a lot of these cars, but as you noted, this one looks remarkably solid. As far as your question about how you will fit in the GT, I am also 6'2" and found the car to be comfortable and surprisingly roomy with the stock seats. Good luck with your project, and keep us posted.
Cheers,
Ron in FL
To add to the height & fitment thing, I’m over 6’6” and have no problems in it. Best of luck!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts