Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to start on the interior on my '72 GT in the next few months. Install new carpet. The dash is good but the heater switch needs replacing. I'll try and fix the clock and radio while the dash is off. The seat covers are actually in great condition considering they're original. The headliner has pulled loose passenger side front and has a few small rips.

Any tips on replacing carpet? Sound like a no brainer.

There's plenty of info on the heater switch, clock & radio.

All I've read on the headliner is that it's a MF. You've got to hold your mouth just right!

·
184 Posts
I just did a full OGTS carpet kit in my GT last year. The kit has many more peices than the OEM carpet since it cut from flat stock.

I bought a large peice (10' X10') of carpet felt from Home Depot. I used the carpet kit peices as templates and cut felt padding peices. I used 3M's 77 spray adhesive to glue the felt to the interior, then again to glue the carpet to the felt.

Touched up any bare interior spots and felt with flat black spray paint (I used black carpet) at carpet seams and the like so no show through. In high traffic areas (like bottom of door sill) I used a hot glue gun to make sure the carpet edges stayed in place. I think it came out pretty good.

Before you start, this is the time to decide if you want to do soundproofing with peel n stick stuff like DynaMat. I just left whatever OEM soundproofing was there doing my carpet kit. I just finshed putting the DynaMat Extreme door soundproofing kit in my GT doors, pretty cool stuff. If I was were you are again, I might toss some DynaMat down before the padding and carpet gets installed.

Have fun, new carpet really shines up the interior.

·
Opeler
53 Posts
What is your source for Dynamat and do you think it might be good for insulating the back end under the tank? I have my tank out and am doing a bunch of stuff back there. I thought it would be good to insulate the whole back under side with something to keep down the noise. I am open to any and all input on this issue.

Bill and the FrankenOpel
Earplugs over 70

·
184 Posts
I bough the Dynamat on line at http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/DYN10435, decent price but you might find better if you really look. The link above is for the Extreme door kit I bought, but you can find the other Dynamat products they sell if you poke around.

The Dynamat website is www.dynamat.com, lots of info on soundproofing and all the products they sell. I'm no expert on using this stuff, the door kit was my first stab using this stuff. I have done Yahoo websearchs on "dynamat & install", I was amazed at what some people do with the stuff. I've seen photos where people gut the whole interior of a car and Dynamated every single surface, just crazy. Even double layered! High end stereo installations mostly. Seems you can get pretty creative using this stuff. I also read some on-line opinions of the stuff at www.epinions.com, the web it's a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
kill that sound

Dynamat is fun stuff, but there are alternaticves my favorite is RAAMmat high quality stuff and much chearper than dynomat. You can also a high grade roof mat. Either way, throwing down some this material is great idea. It really changes the inside of the car, if properly installed it really cleans up the sound from the speakers. What I plan on doing is laying a single layer over everything then doubleing up around my sub box and tourque tube.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts