Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder if any one else has a ritual or routine to start the Opel?

When I start my GT, I pump the accelerator 3 times exactly and hit the key with my foot off the accelerator. The engine starts and then dies. I then pump the accelerator exactly 10 times, take my foot off the accelerator, hit the key and hit the accelerator down to the floor and "Whamo", engine fires up and idles perfectly every time. Any variation from this routine, either hot or cold and the engine floods.
Any one else have their ritual other than prayers? :cool:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Tom, if I did that ritual on any of my cars they would not start at all, but be flooded and the plugs would have to be removed and cleaned. My ritual is, engine cold, foot to the floor one time, turn the key to start and that's it, none of the motors gets to the 2nd revolution before it is running. When the engine is at operating temps, just turn the key to start, again before the 2nd revolution they are running. The only deviation from this is when they've ben sitting for more than 3 days, then I have to motor the engines until fuel gets to the carb. Maybe a hot wire to the electric fuel pumps is needed for me on those days. :D

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i crank for 3 or 4 seconds, if it dont start on its own, then i just simply hold the pedal halfway down, and guaranteed that it'll start withing 3 seconds that way. guaranteed first fire everytime i turn the key. when its warm, just bump the key, fires off by 2nd revolution unless i just got done running it very hard on a very hot day, then she staggers for a quick moment, not too common though.

·
415 Posts
Untill the Solex is re-built when it's cold I have to give it a shot of starter fluid and feather the gas untill running smooth. When it's warm all I have to do is bump the starter and fires right up. I've just haven't had the time for the re-build.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If mine's driven everyday press to the floor once (when cold).....then foot off the pedal and it starts right up at about 1500 (or so) rpm. When warm just turn the key. In the summer here when it's 100 degrees plus and the engine is already warm (hot) I've found that it starts right up if I hold the pedal in about halfway and turn the key.

As with Ron's, if mine's been sitting for more than a few days it takes 5 - 10 seconds of cranking the engine to get the float bowl gassed up the first time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts