Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
steel vs fiberglass

my 70 opel has a fiberglass belly pan, However I am going to have the whole car dipped before doing the body work, My question is which is better to replace the belly pan with fiberglass or steel?

·
Super Moderator
9,826 Posts
Bear;
No, the fiberglass willl have to be removed. Do it carefully and you should be able to re-install it.
Good Luck and keep us posted.
Gene

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just curious are you having the chemical dip done locally, because I live in the same area and didn't know anywhere to get it done. You should probably remove the fiberglass belly pan before the dip, that stuff dissolves any plastic, rubber, or weak metal.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a place in Greensboro Nc called Ellis's , The last I knew they still did the chemical dip. I haven't contacted them my self but have been told by a couple of friends that went to them about a year ago. it was 1500 to dip a old Nash. I am hopeing to call them this monday or tuesday.
I want to see what is under 30 years of paint. I already know I don't like the way the Po reparied the floor pans and rocker panels. I woneder what other not so good goodies i will find.

·
Opeler
65 Posts
Do you like the fiberglass pan? If so, why change? I guess if you have a good steel pan that might make a difference, but I've not seen a lot of good steel pans around. I agree with the other posts, remove it before dipping and put it back on, especially if it is still in good condition.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Hand Made

The one for my GT was hand made from 1.2mm "Zyntec" sheet metal. Took a 50 hour week at $60 per hour ......

50 X $60 = $3,000 That's NZ dollars so about $US1950 today!

Shite! That is the first time I have worked out individual component costs ..... I think I won't frighten myself again.....

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow I didn't realize the steel belly pan would be so expensive. I am going to give OGTS a call today just to see what their going rate is. If it as high as you all say Fiberglass it is. The one that is on there is in really good shape. You can't tell it is even fiberglass until you look under the hood. I was just trying to go for the All Steel car for sow purposes. Sounds like it may be a pipe dream.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.