Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steel Wool ???

I am cleaning up the valve cover on my GT and replacing the PCV vac. line and decide to clean remove the screws on the bottom of the valve cover...there was what looked like steel wool in there. it was a little corse and it was falling apart, little bits of steel coming off. This worried me I was thinking this stuff could get sucked in by engine vac. I removed the stuff.

What is this stuff for?
Do I need to put it back in?

I have never seen this stuff before.

Thanks.

·
Opel Key Master
5,229 Posts
Steel wool

These are acting kind of like filters. Notice the large chunks of debrise in them like carbon and oil sludge. They prevent that stuff from recirculating in the system. Do not use STEEL WOOL as a replacement. It will braek down into the system. I used a stainless steel mesh screen material from industrial use for these. GT Source may have a replacement.
Keith

·
96 Posts
try "chore boy" scouring pad, its stainless steel. It should work fine. Get it at wal-fart, k-fart,... .Its pretty cheap.$2-3 us

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
Like Gary said, you can search on this in prior threads.

DO NOT USE STEEL WOOL! (It will have the same affect as adding sand to your oil.)

OGTS does not carry the replacements for these. They will tell you to use spun stainless steel or spun copper replacements. Chore-boy is one brand of scoring pad that fits this description.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts