Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rubber flexible steering coupling below the dash on my GT is wearing out. I have a new replacement one waiting for install, but I'm wondering if there's a better solution. I replaced one on a GT about 20 years ago and it started to wear out and get slop after about a year. Prior to that I had been pretty successful in shimming out the play between the steel shaft and the rubber by jamming popsicle sticks or tooth picks into the gaps along with some model glue. :ugh:

Apparently OGTS doesn't offer urethane replacements yet and my "new" coupling is probably 30+ years old, yet still in the bag. I just don't trust a piece of rubber that old to last very long.

Has anyone come up with a better solution?

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I have a new one of those, but they didn't seem to last very long. I was wondering if anyone had a better idea.

4,231 Posts
rubber coupling

Gordon
the rubber coupling was only for US-GT`s and it gives a early and later type.
The european GT have this coupling complete in metal.(US-safety:confused:)
Here is a thread from splendid parts with a picture link in the last post.
But its in german,you must translate.
Norbert
Das Opel GT Forum

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Veerrrry interesting

That is fascinating! I thought the rubber was there to dampen vibration. It makes sense that it was for US safety reasons. Around that time they were focussing on collapsible steering columns. Maybe the steering column pops out of the rubber coupling when the steering column gets pushed upwards? Or maybe it pushes through? What do German cars have there? I can't get to the thread.

So you must have MUCH more road feel and more accurate steering in your GT/Other Opels? You probably can feel the gear turn on the rack through the steering? I have especially not liked that coupling in all of my GT's steering I have had over the years. Maybe I'm just picky. Okay, I know I am, but I have detected play in the steering wheel caused by that coupling in several GT's. In my mind, that should never be able to happen. Bad design.

Have you American racer guys caught on to this? I would think you guys would very much like to tighten up your steering with a solid coupling.

So, I want one. Yes, I know it will kill me in a crash. I couldn't get to the post in the link Norbert sent, probably because I have to sign in and I'm not a member. I went to the Splendid site and couldn't find anything steering related except racks and wheels.

Maybe Norbert or someone else could post a better link to the part?

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wait, I think I found it. Is this it?:

Will this part let me make my American type coupling into a German type? How does the German type fit together? How does it work, does the steering slide together? Do I need any more parts or do any modifications to make my steering like this?

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, okay, the plates are spring steel, right? You still have rock solid steering response, but with a little shock absorbtion?

Or are you pulling my leg?

Since the one in the picture isn't attached to anything, why not send it to me? :yup:

4,231 Posts
tie rod

Moin
Gordon your picture shows the tie rod and special the locking plates for sell:D
The other coupling on the above picture shows for me like a Kadett B 1.1 part.
I will try to load up the picture from Udo in the evening today.
Norbert

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmmm...it's hard to tell the difference. The right side euro one looks like it still has the rubber enclosure in it. Is there no rubber in it?

·
Administrator
10,237 Posts
I couldn't get to the post in the link Norbert sent, probably because I have to sign in and I'm not a member. I went to the Splendid site and couldn't find anything steering related except racks and wheels.

Maybe Norbert or someone else could post a better link to the part?
Page translated by Mr. Google: Google Translate

4,231 Posts
Interchange

The coupling was from a 69 GT.
Will they all interchange?
Yes and no:D
This coupling that you have is realy a static without rubber from a 69 GT.But there also
two types.By one you must to change take out complet the bolt screw .By the other
one you must only loosening the bolt to towing it up.Why? One steering shaft have a
groove and the other not.For this groove shafts is also the later rubber coupling.Also,that will fit.

And now my mistake by the picture from Udo.I must read the posts better.
The late european have also rubber inside.But the US have yello paint or a yellow mark.
The question is,have the yello US an higher hard shore.He take a european part on his
73th US-GT and that have a lot of vibrations by 100 to 120 Km/h.
With the US part it drove like on rails,very smooth.
Greetings Norbert

PS: on the site from udo you can change the language on the right top!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Steering coupler repair Polyurethane

I have been having the same problem with mine too much slop in the wheel,:sigh: so here is what I did. I took the assembly apart and cleaned out all the old rubber, 2 with the pieces re-assembled you have to shim up the center connector, I used a wheel stud this will allow about 3/16 of material to cover the bottom of the input shaft.( originally it was about 1/16 thick, without the metal spacer, this process requires the plate to be in place, so it can be all 1 piece when done) I also used blue tape to secure the 2 pieces together and to seal the bottom. 3 then I melted some Polyurethane construction adhesive and poured it around the center connector, (pumped it out of the tube and heated it with a heat gun in a metal pan). After 3 days of drying, drove the stud out and cleaned it up. I did put it in a vice and it does have some flex to it. This being Polyurethane it should last and an inexpensive repair.

Attachments

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Brilliant!

I melted some Polyurethane construction adhesive and poured it around the center connector, (pumped it out of the tube and heated it with a heat gun in a metal pan).
Awesome idea! I never in my wildest dreams would have thought you could do that.

A great idea for lots of home projects!

·
Registered
419 Posts
we are prepping our car for a race at the end of next month. I was tightening the adjustment nut on the steering box thinking that was our problem. Now I have discovered that I have this problem. I think I will weld mine up. No worry of that loosening up over time.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
After sitting for a couple of weeks, It is totally cured out, there is some flex but not as much as the stock rubber. Other wise it will work very nice, but if you want more vibration suppression you could always add a 1/4" of rubber between the 2 main plates, for that smoother ride on the hwy.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts