Opel GT Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I have been having the same problem with mine too much slop in the wheel,:sigh: This being Polyurethane it should last and an inexpensive repair.
In post #17, I did this repair almost 3 yrs. ago, & 10,000 miles & it still works great. Not as fast as welding, since the polyurethane takes several days to cure out, about 3 to 5 , but if no access to a welder, this is a $ 7.50 fix ( for a tube of polyurethane ) and your time. :yup:

·
Opel Intern
1,290 Posts
Brad - I did notice your repair. What kind of urethane did you use? P/N or a more precise standard application would be prefect!

I really wonder if the rubber is necessary. Does it really remove a sizable amount of road vibration? It seems like adding a flexible join between two pairs of U-joints is a recipe for disaster considering the dynamics of the u-joint pair linkages.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Swiftus, I believe it was poly. const. adhesive for concrete blocks, I always thought if you were to weld the piece in place, then you could place a 1/4" round piece of rubber between the 2 half's, as a damping/ anti vibration, like some of the older cars & trucks did...With the steering column being telescopic, this should work just fine.

·
Opel Intern
1,290 Posts
I like the flat rubber idea much more than this domed approach. I think I'll go to a muffler shop down the block and see if they'll squirt-gun the connection for me.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Jaybird the early GT's used a solid coupler without any problems.
I think that there is a picture of one somewhere in this thread. Found it post #23.
BTW the earlier couplers are keyed differently...I not sure if that makes much of a difference with steering wheel shake as long as the front-end is good.

·
Opeler
3,721 Posts
When I installed electrical power steering I had to get rid of rubber coupling. The steering became more "direct" and I really never feel any vibration on the steering wheel or whatever. It is just fine without rubber coupling.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
I see this was a 2012 question....but has anyone found a replacement rag joint ??? I really don't want to make mine solid...I wonder is anyone is rebuilding them.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I use a tilt column with power steering, good quality u joints without a rag joint, rock solid steering with no vibration at all.

Reactions: The Scifi Guy
41 - 51 of 51 Posts