Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We want to remove the steering column from our 69 GT and re-install into our 70 GT. Anyone removed a complete steering column before? How is it done?

Thanks
Kendallman

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
One bolt where the column goes into the steering rack, 4 bolts holding it to the structure and instrument panel, two conector plugs going to the fuse panel. That's it. HTH.

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
Might as well change out the door handles while you are at so the Ignition key will work on the door locks. Also verify that the color codes on the wires at the plugs match the female plugs at the fuse box or verify color match with the 70 male plugs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where exaactly is that one bolt that goes into the steering rack? How difficult is it to get that bolt out/

Thanks again

·
Living in the past
2,340 Posts
steeling removal

The bolt you a speaking of is under the hood, on the steering shaft. It holds a slip collar from the shaft to the stub shaft coming out of the rack & pinion. It is a bolt with a nut on it and goes through the collar both a 13mm and you can rotate the shaft to get to them both you must remove the bolt out of the collar as it fits it a groove on the shaft and will not come apart without removing that bolt.

·
Living in the past
2,340 Posts
Steeling removal

The four bolts that hold it under the dash are another matter:haha:. If they have never been changed you are in for a real treat, they will look like four button heads and they are a PITA. the best method is to use a die grinder with a whiz wheel and cut a groove across the head and use a flat blade screwdriver to back them out, make sure you just hit the heads and not get into the bracket. Do all four with the whiz wheel before you attempt to back tham out. The down and dirty method is to use a sharp chisel and a hammer to start the bolt backing out (lefty loosey, righty tighty) either method will work but the chisel method will take you longer and cause you to loose you religion sooner. when you put it back togather, use hex head bolts and you will be a whole lot happier the next time you want to drop it:D .

·
427 Posts
opelnut10 said:
The bolt you a speaking of is under the hood, on the steering shaft. It holds a slip collar from the shaft to the stub shaft coming out of the rack & pinion. It is a bolt with a nut on it and goes through the collar both a 13mm and you can rotate the shaft to get to them both you must remove the bolt out of the collar as it fits it a groove on the shaft and will not come apart without removing that bolt.
Under the hood? Is that where it's located on 69s? On my 71 and previous 73, it was inside the cab, under the dash, connected to the u-joint. Also, if you haven't searched previous threads, 2 of the 4 bolts holding the column brace will have to be drilled and extracted if they have never been removed before.

Nevermind... Just realized you were referring to the lower u-joint. I've not yet had the pleasure of having to mess with that. (knock on wood)

·
Living in the past
2,340 Posts
steering removal

wrangler said:
LOL... apparently you type much faster than I. Saw that you had posted the same thing.
Yes, I don't spell so good sometimes (you know, just washed my hands, and can't do anything with them:haha: . I have taken a few of these down and I always replaced the bolts with hex heads, unless the owner wants a concourse showcar and had to have everything original. In which case I would put the wring -offs back in and pray that they didn't want me to do anything else at a later date that required dropping the steering, because if you want to change a burned out dash light bulb or anything requiring pulling the insturment panel the steering had to be dropped ( if you just try to pry it back far enough to get to something, you may break the panel, then you are in deep kim chee).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts