Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have notice a lot of slop in my steering (turning the steering wheel side to side...lots of movement before interaction with the front wheels), so I crawled under the dash to have a look. I noticed that the column has no support between the universal under the dash and the universal at the rack, so I can grab the column and shake it around. It seems like there should be a support, or center bearing or 'something' at the firewall/footbox to support it and give it some 'guidance'? The hole in the firewall where the column goes through is obviously much larger than the shaft, so I can shake the column and have it rub all around the ID of the firewall hole....obviousy something is wrong....Any ideas of what is missing here? The top Universal joind seems very sloppy, but the column still seems like it should have some more support somewhere......

Thanks,
Tim

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Ok, GT right? there is a pair of bearings in the upper column the hold it stationary. the long shaft is just that and doesn't need support. there are 2 variations on the upper column. one has a plastic disc that is known to deteriorate. The upper bearing support is bolted in and can cause this too if it comes loose.

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
try shaking it at the end where it comes out of the column support and if it moves you will need to look at the bushes that carry the column in the carrier :confused: (describes right sounds wrong )
then look @ the uj's if as you say they are sloppy then they need changing
this is all a top safety thing and needs to be looked at as soon as , we cant have you turning the wheel 1 way and going the other after all

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
That is the variation I was eluding too. Some had a solid steel discs rather than plastic. One less thing to break I guess.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The top U-joint definitely needs to be replaced, but there is nothing on the column (that I can see) between the U-joint at the steering wheel and the U-joint at the rack.....looks like I have something missing?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Nope Tim, nothing is missing, that's the way the steering shaft is on the GT. it's a straight shot from one u-joint to the other, no support bearing or carrier at all between the two. But, the lower part of the shaft slips into the upper part of the shaft, that's visible from the engine compartment and there could be a little bit of slop there too. But it should be very minimal. HTH.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
There should be a bearing in an aluminum housing with a bearing in it at the bottom of the column. It's held in by 2 bolts and an allen head screw. The thrust for the column is set there by adjusting the U joint against the spring pressure at the top.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.