Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Opeler
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 1971 Kadett 1.9l 3-sp auto. I'm trying to remove the steering rack to rapack and replace torn boots. I have a servic manual that describes the procedure. So far I have loosened the collar nut near the splined end, removed the bolt under the steering wheel, removed the tie rod ends and removed the four mounting bolts.

According to the procedure the rack should just pull out. But it's not budging at the collar. I have sprayed judicious amounts of PB Blaster on the splined collar, but it's not moving. Am I missing something here?

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
I see you removed the stopbolt under the steering column but did you: "pull the steering wheel rearward approximately three inches" before undoing the four rack attaching bolts? This is suposed to slide the steering column out of the flexible coupling. Caution: Don't hit anything near the column with a hammer as the shock can damage the collapsable steering column.
HTH

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
until the collar is opened back up it won't come off. Even then they fight with you. I use a cold chisel to open them back up.

·
Opeler
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
still no budge...

I did try to pull the steering wheel back 3 inches as specified in the manual but it didn't budge. The collar nut was backed off most of the way. Then I tried to pry the collar with a large screwdriver to loosten it. Still nothing. I'll spray with more PB Blaster and let it sit overnight. Was really hoping to get it off to do bench work tomorrow. Rain in the forecast.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
The collar bolt is in a pocket on the shaft so it needs to be removed not just loosened.

·
Opeler
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That did it...made a correction in the service manual

Thanks nobody and GTJim for the help. Now to rebuild.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts