Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this steering wheel as a gift ages ago. I wanted to keep the appearance of the GT as stock as possible. So I never thought about putting it in.

Since I am now going in the direction of having period correct performance upgrades; is this steering wheel period correct? I know it’s old and since I don’t have any history on it as it was a gift. I don’t see any MOMO branding on it. There is a ‘made in Italy’ engraved on the back.
The other question is; will it fit?? It measures 13 3/4 inches in diameter and the center hole is 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
This steering wheel is NOT correct. It won't fit without an adapter. It's an aftermarket wheel.

It would look good, but would be a pain to get a good looking, functional, horn set up.

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
This steering wheel is NOT correct. It won't fit without an adapter. It's an aftermarket wheel.

It would look good, but would be a pain to get a good looking, functional, horn set up.
figuring out an adapter will make your head spin. the bolt pattern is rare.

just get the sweet ass one from ogts. absolutely beautiful.

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
figuring out an adapter will make your head spin. the bolt pattern is rare.

just get the sweet ass one from ogts. absolutely beautiful.
Not entirely true.

I have an adapter I had made that will allow an aftermarket wheel to bolt right up to the Opel steering hub.

I was thinking of producing a bunch of them next summer.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,126 Posts
I've had those remanufactured oem steering wheels with wood fail on me. The skinny, flexy, metal rod inside and the loose, flexy, independent spokes cause the wood to crack.

Your pictures show what appears to be a Luisi steering wheel and it's not old or out of date, I'm sure you can find the same one being sold as we speak. Luisi makes VERY good high quality steering wheels. What you are missing is the Opel adapter hub and horn button. As far as I know, Luisi makes a basic universal steering wheel and then sells adapters to bolt them on to all the different car makes of steering column's. They even include a horn button with that car's logo on it. Nice chubby steering wheels are a big improvement over the skinny old school steering wheels. Less hand fatique on long drives. Here's pics of my steering wheel and adapter:

My Luisi steering wheel (1).JPG My Luisi steering wheel (2).JPG Luisi steering wheel installed (1).JPG Luisi steering wheel installed (2).JPG Luisi steering wheel installed (3).JPG

I don't recall what I did to modify the horn button from it's original yellow, maybe I just glued a wheel center cap to it or maybe someone like Norbert gave me the black and chrome one. Norbert also provided me with a chrome ring(I think it's from a BMW) to fit over the mounting bolt holes to dress it up with some chromy bling. Install was easier than oem.

IMG_2922.jpg IMG_2919.jpg IMG_2918.jpg

If you do a search on Ebay for variations of Luisi steering wheels/adapters/Opel, you'll find a whole bunch that look just like your steering wheel. I found this ad from a seller I've bought from before(Mr. Fiat) that shows a listing of adapters for various Opel models. It says that adapter #5203 fits "GT 1900" steering columns, which is the same number printed on the adapter box you'll see in one of my pics.:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Opel-Astra...=item46651fb467:g:ewEAAOSwo4pYK73H:rk:20:pf:0

I get the sense that MOMO and Luisi steering wheels use the same adapters.

centurysport340s.jpg opel hub adapters.jpg

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not entirely true.

I have an adapter I had made that will allow an aftermarket wheel to bolt right up to the Opel steering hub.

I was thinking of producing a bunch of them next summer.
Put me down for one if you do.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had those remanufactured oem steering wheels with wood fail on me. The skinny, flexy, metal rod inside and the loose, flexy, independent spokes cause the wood to crack.

Your pictures show what appears to be a Luisi steering wheel and it's not old or out of date, I'm sure you can find the same one being sold as we speak. Luisi makes VERY good high quality steering wheels. What you are missing is the Opel adapter hub and horn button. As far as I know, Luisi makes a basic universal steering wheel and then sells adapters to bolt them on to all the different car makes of steering column's. They even include a horn button with that car's logo on it. Nice chubby steering wheels are a big improvement over the skinny old school steering wheels. Less hand fatique on long drives. Here's pics of my steering wheel and adapter:

View attachment 376903 View attachment 376905 View attachment 376907 View attachment 376909 View attachment 376911

I don't recall what I did to modify the horn button from it's original yellow, maybe I just glued a wheel center cap to it or maybe someone like Norbert gave me the black and chrome one. Norbert also provided me with a chrome ring(I think it's from a BMW) to fit over the mounting bolt holes to dress it up with some chromy bling. Install was easier than oem.

View attachment 376913 View attachment 376915 View attachment 376917

If you do a search on Ebay for variations of Luisi steering wheels/adapters/Opel, you'll find a whole bunch that look just like your steering wheel. I found this ad from a seller I've bought from before(Mr. Fiat) that shows a listing of adapters for various Opel models. It says that adapter #5203 fits "GT 1900" steering columns, which is the same number printed on the adapter box you'll see in one of my pics.:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Opel-Astra...=item46651fb467:g:ewEAAOSwo4pYK73H:rk:20:pf:0

View attachment 376919 View attachment 376921
This is why I love this forum. What a hot setup. Thanks for the info. I’m looking into this right away.

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
sit in your gt and see where stock steering wheel sits. an adapter brings wheel around 4-6" closer to you. for me it was a no go. i want comfort. Gordo, is a slim fighting machine. stock wheel is dished and your wheel is flat, compensating for the adapter a little bit, but still closer overall.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,126 Posts
It may seem like the steering wheel sticks out 4" further, but, if it does at all, it might be just 1". The oem steering wheel has spokes that bend forward about 3", whereas the Luisi's are only bent forward about 1/2"-1". And the hub is a different thickness. I'll take a measurement after the football game from the turn signal stalk to the wheel, 'cuz now I'm curious.

Could one of you guys take a measurement from some fixed point on the steering column, like the front of the turn signal lever opening, to an oem steering wheel?

:thinking:

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,126 Posts
I took a pic during a commercial break. With the tape measure hooked into the rear of the turn signal opening and a straight edge laid across the face of the steering wheel, I measure 5 5/16".:

IMG_0824.jpg

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
Here's the measurement for a stock '69 steering wheel.

And here's the measurement with my replacement steering wheel and my current adapter configuration.

The depth of the replacement steering wheel is a variable that can be controlled when you look for the steering wheel you want.

My designed adapter was made to accept an inexpensive adapter that can be purchased for different manufacturers.

That is an extra half inch that could be eliminated when I make the run of adapters. It's still in the design phase at the moment.

All in all, though, having the steering wheel 3/4" closer isn't a huge issue. I'm thinking that there might even be room in the column to push it back a little.

I like having a dished steering wheel so the wheel that started this thread isn't for me.

Attachments

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
1.56 inches closer with gordos set up. doesnt sound like much, but when you barely fit in the car in the first place, it was a no go for me. other adapter/wheel setups make it even closer.

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
1.56 inches closer with gordos set up. doesnt sound like much, but when you barely fit in the car in the first place, it was a no go for me. other adapter/wheel setups make it even closer.
That's why I'm going the route I am.

If everything goes well, the final adapter will only add a quarter inch with the steering wheel I have.

I know there's room in the column for 1/4" adjustment.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

View attachment 376903 View attachment 376905 View attachment 376907 View attachment 376909 View attachment 376911

View attachment 376913 View attachment 376915 View attachment 376917

View attachment 376919 View attachment 376921
I did pick up the Luisi adapter. I attempted an install- or at least took off the stock wheel and looked at trying to figure to out. The next step was to take off the nut and the special winged washer. I stopped there as in the luisi hub the wing washer stays flat - and on the Opel it’s wings are bent down - meaning I would have to bend them and play around with it and hope that I don’t snap or break anything.

Anything to look out for here when I take the nut off?

There is a small black and gold button that comes out that the horn ring presses to make the horn go.
But as per previous post - trying to figure out the horn is the issue - a plain cover didn’t come in the box.

·
Opeler
623 Posts
Revising this thread. Does anyone have adapters to utilize aftermarket wheels.

·
Senior Contributor
1,623 Posts

I have this type Hub Adapter Luise
Luise make some fantastic custom wheels in both Wood and Leather, Made in Italy ,, this adapter looks to be universal to me ,standard bolt patterns , take a look

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
So, no, I haven't made a run of adapters. Last Summer I had a Windows "update" go bad and haven't been able to reload my design software and a lot of my files will have to be searched one-by-one to match them up with programs. When I finally get everything working again, I will probably make a bunch. Don't hold your breath though because I forget that I want to do things sometimes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts