Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey when the i took off my steering wheel to fix my key becuz it was not turn over the wheel was rig on thier with a some kind of pin and the top were thw nut goes was hamerd so i was hopeing that there is away to fix this can you replace the top of the steering colum shaft or should replace the colum p.s. were can i find the back part of the key ign swicht for cheap

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i was hoping that all you opeler out there some one would help me but most of the time my post just get push off thank you for your help

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
i dont understand is the ignition switch messed up or is the
steering coulum mest up?i have my parts gt and i have just removed the steering colum so i could take a look at it if u could describe a little better.

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you. The ign switch is bad. went got the car,it need a battery afteri got it running. smoke came up from the steering wheel and ign. i shut every thing off and tryed too find, what had caused the smoke, didnt find any thing. Went too start the car again, nothing happen, the switch must have got fried, went about getting to the switch, took off horn cap and found that the steering wheel was being held on by some kind of pin. my book show a bolt loking thing and nut holding the wheel on took wheel off and got the switch out look like some one tryd to fix it before it is melted in places and has a lot burn and blacked wires so i need a switch and i was thinking that having the wheel held onby a pin is a bad thing was hopeing that i can replaes the top shaft that is good and has the nut and stuff so wheel dose not come off in my hand going down the road . thank you

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
yes the steering wheel should be held on by a bolt in the center.
with a washer under neith it with part of it bent up against aside of the bolt. i cant even imagian how they could have used a pin.
but guess its posible.well u can get new ignition switches from several places www.opelgtsource.com is in california they may have a couple, also www.opeljunkyard.com is in kentucky, there is also a place that i now would have one but its in the netherlands its called www.opelgtparts.com . it seems like from what u have said u could keep the origianl colum and everything if u got the right size nut and a washer. or other wis u may have to replace the whole steering colum part that mounts under the dash. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Good luck in finding a new ignition switch- your best bet might be to find a good used one. Then when you get a switch ( again -good luck ) go to [email protected] and check into a OTTO start relay to help keep your switch from burning out again.
I had to get an after market ignition switch and mount it in the cigarrette lighter opening:rolleyes:

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the part of the steering colum, were the nut and washer go is bent it looks like some one beat off, the wheel the frist time .the switch went bad then they could not fix it so they driled a hole in the side of the shaft and put a pin in that looks like a part of a coat hanger in to hold the wheel on

1 - 8 of 8 Posts