Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, help.

Hello.
I'd like to thank Gary for his time, it took me a while to be able to post, so thanks.
I'm Lex and I have always liked the GT but have been a Camaro guy mosty of my car life. I raced autocross with Firebirds. When I married my lovely wife, Patte, I stoped racing and became a fulltime father and husban. It's been 12 years now just owning work vans. This December I bought an Opel Manta. A very long story and I'll tell it later. Right now I was interrested in finding out if there is a place that sells performance parts for these cars. After reading some posts I discovered that you frown on stuffing smallblock chevys between the fenders but that is exactly what I have. I need to get a stiffer front spring and would like to change all the bushings to poly... Does some place have a catalog for what I'm looking for?
Thanks again for your time and I look forward to talking to you. Lex H Pearson
Manhattan KS

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
Try Opel GT Source for the poly bushing kits (front and rear). None makes springs for heavier engines, they'll need to be custom. There's a company called Coil Spring Specialties in Kansas, can't remember the town offhand. I used to have them make custom spring sets for Opels for my business (when I was in business). They have the stock specs for the Manta, so if you give them an accurate weight of the engine transplant relative to stock (i.e., front/rear weight distribution and total weight), they can calculate a spring for you. A 'normal' high performance spring won't work because of the added weight...the car will sit too low. Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
Here's a link to their web site. I bought a set of front and rear springs from them. I made my purchase based upon a set of spring rate/lowered height recommendations RallyBob had posted. But, I'm sure that those spring specifications were based upon the weights of the "stock"car. But I'm sure they can figure it out.

http://www.coilsprings.com/

Here's the address and Phone numbers

Call (785) 437-2025

Fax (785) 437-2266

Coil Spring Specialties
632 W. Bertrand
St. Marys, KS 66536

Good Luck

Paul

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
FYI, they have specs for the following spring sets I used to sell:

Manta/Ascona
(stock is 135 front and progressive rear: 118-180)

>200 front/130 rear - 1" drop front/ .5" rear drop rear
For a slight drop and firmer ride
>275 front/170 rear - 2" drop front/ 1.5" drop rear
Most popular set I used to sell. Very streetable, big handling improvement.
>375 front/180 rear - 3" drop front/ 2.5" drop rear
For street/race dual purpose use. Great handling.
>500 front/200 rear - 3" drop front/ 2.5" drop rear
For racing use. Same set I have for my ITB car.

GT (rear only)
(stock rear is 150 lbs)

>160 lb stock height - For extra load capacity
>180 lb 1.25" lower - For use with sport front spring or shackles
>180 lb 2.5" lower - For use with shackles and sport spring
>200 lb 2.5" lower - For racing use with shackles and sport spring, or with fiberglass racing spring and special ball joints.

Anything else will be a custom order, but they did a good job in the past making the springs I spec'd out.

Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your help already. ST Marys is right down the road from me. I'll give them a ring next week.
Ahh the smell of greese under my finger nails and exaust fumes in my clothes. Late lights lying on my back looking up at the... oil pan?. hehe Lex

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called and ordered springs today and will receive them next week. Thanks again. Lex

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
Spoke to Coil Springs Specialities today. Enquired about springs for a Manta (275/2" & 170/1.5")and GT (180/1.25").

They said they need a "Sample" because they have conflicting data. Did you run into that Lex or did you just get the stock ones?

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
The springs I ordered for my 75 Manta (and have received) from them were based upon information, via email, I recieved from RallyBob. The specs he gave me at the time were:

Frt: 275 in-lb 1.25 Lower
Rr: 170 in-lb 1.25 Lower

He gave additional specs for various lowered heights and spring stiffeness... front and rear, but these didn't match what he has listed in the above post.

Coil Specilities built the above springs for me with no confusion or questions... so I guess they are right. I can't tell at this time because my car is still scattered across the garage. The rear suspension is back together and mounted to the car. The front is out of the car but is assembled just waiting to go back in.

HTH
Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just told them that I had put in a chevy V8 and would like to keep the stock hight but with a heavier duty spring. They didn't have any questions for me when I ordered. Lex
Price was about 60.00 ea. If that is good or bad I have no idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts