Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out the stock tire size... is it 165R13 or 165R78-13 or.... ???? Please clarify..... Thanks. Looking to put on 185R70-13 on my stock rims... they have roughly the same running diameter as the above sizes. Any thoughts to that as well?

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
hi mark a 2 second search gets you
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4556&highlight=Tire+Size
and in it you will find all the answers to your question

as a reminder to all members please use the search engine on this site for questions as it will give you an answer quicker than waiting for a reply most of the time and saves us poor unwell overworked and worn out moderators typing this out 5 times a day :D i used to have fingers once then started to do this and im down to typing with my knuckles (no wonder no one can understand my spelling )

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
The 1969 FSM calls for a 165HR13 in a GT. The "R" stands for "Radial", and the "H" is a speed rating (versus the 155SR13 tire for the Kadett Rallye and the 155R13 in the standard Kadett) . To quote a page I found:

S-for cars speed rated up to 112 mph, (180 km/h).
T-for cars speed rated up to 118 mph, (190 km/h).
U-for cars speed rated up to 124 mph, (200 km/h).
H-for cars speed rated up to 130 mph, (210 km/h).
V (VR)-for cars speed rated up to 149 mph, (240 km/h).
W (ZR)-for cars speed rated up to 168 mph, (270 km/h).
Y (ZR)-for cars speed rated up to 186 mph, (300 km/h).
Z -for cars speed rated 149 mph and over, (240 km/h).

The later FSM's call for simply a 165-13 tire for both the GT and and 1900. I believe the "standard" aspect ratio was either a "78" or "80". A 185-70x13 tire is the most often fitted tire on a GT, as the diameter is virtually identical, with a bit more tread width. HTH

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
keith have you ever wondered how to get a "Z" rated tyre up to its bottom rated speed (149 and above) :D , it always made me laugh the way that is written when they first went to that way to rate tyres

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Simple!

baz said:
keith have you ever wondered how to get a "Z" rated tyre up to its bottom rated speed (149 and above) :D
1) Ensure car has plenty of clear space in front of it.
2) Raise driving wheels off road using trolley jack
3) Engage FORWARD gears
4) Take car up through gears till 149mph is indicated on speedo
5) Get friend (standing BEHIND car ... ) to quickly release jack
5) Voila! As the Fench say ....... Eh! Hiro ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts