Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking out the block and head on my motor...and the head is marked 71 and is a 4 cam bearing head... but the block is weird...the block number is 19S 0887503 which seems to be in the 1971 era.....but the block code (behind the starter) is 15<71V What the heck does that mean ??? I got that it was made on the 15th of < in 1971 V
So anyone know what those arrows mean ?? <<<VVV

It also appears that it has a 12 bolt timing cover on it...from the half covered small hex head bolt next to the front valve cover... Can those be interchanged ?

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,891 Posts
Maybe week 15 in the year 1971?

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,089 Posts
You could run a 12 bolt head with an early 10 bolt cover as it seems you should have. Just use the earlier head gasket.

It sounds like you have a 12 bolt (later head) if there is a bolt head right under the front edge of the valve cover. But I did not think that a 71 head would have been a 12 bolt..... I did not think that started until the '73 model year, which means that production would have started sometime in mid '72...????

FWIW.... I have run the reverse: a 12 bolt timing cover with a 10 bolt head. That timing cover is 1 mm taller so you use a later head gasket, or an earlier head gasket and use a razor blade to remove the thin cork gasket on the underside of the front of the early head gasket, and put some RTV around the front area with either.

·
Über Genius
8,763 Posts
The timing cover tells you which head gasket to buy. All of them will work for all blocks and all heads.
The 12 bolt head was supposed to seal better and you'd want a 12 bolt timing cover but it's NOT 100% necessary.

My best engine was a frankenmutt. It was a 1.9 flat top with a 12 bolt timing cover and a 1.5 head. It was a screamer but the exhaust manifold would glow if I drove it over 3000 rpms.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kinda think that is probably what I have...a 1.9 1971 block with a 12 bolt timing cover...and a 4 cam bearing 1971 head.... I am really concerned with that strange date code on the block..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think anything is wrong with it...runs nice and has a rebuilt head....it's more one of those ...what the heck is that....< and V things...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts