Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,367 Posts
If you just check for spark directly from the coil tower with the cap off to watch the points, does it always fire on each cam lobe, or does it seem to miss, say, two out of four times. If so, maybe you have a worn distributor bushing, which will cause the points to improperly function. But I would have thought it would happen on opposite lobes, such as 1 and 3, or 2 and 4, (firing order is 1-3-4-2) since they are opposite each other.

Have you tried re-gapping or replacing the points?

I would check the distributor cap and rotor. They have a bad habit of "carbon arcing" inside, and once that starts, it's time for a new cap.

Or, do you have the correct cap. That is, does it fit properly? There should be a small square protrusion that lines up with a corresponding notch in the distributor.

Or, is it possible that the distributor isn't grounding properly? It almost sounds like whe you push the housing, you may be re-establishing a ground. Although that doesn't go around with it only affecting numbers 2 and 4.

That's about all the ideas I have. HTH and good luck.

·
Super Moderator
6,367 Posts
Point gap should be set to 0.018 inches, and the dwell is 50 degrees.

But if you are interested in a better ignition system, do a search for "Pertronix" on this site. They make an electronic ignitor module that nicely replaces the points (and can easily be swapped back to points should you wish to do so) for about $60, and then you never have to worry about points again. They also can alleviate some of the problems related to a worn distibutor, at least up to a point. Pardon the pun.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.