Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone happen to know what this hole is in the 2nd picture? Looks to be the back side of a timing cover bolt but it's not near big enough. This is on the passenger side, just rear from where the timing chain tensioner bolt is located. Mine seems to be a source of oil leak. (Dont mind the gooped on RTV. PO must have applied as last resort to seal up the timing cover from leaking. I scared to scrape it off.)

·
Super Moderator
13,876 Posts
Not a normal thru-hole location. Perhaps somebody previously drilled it out?

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What the hell then. Anyone know of any logical reason why Dennis (NHopel) would have done this?

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apparently I'm missing an owner un the chain. Any thoughts on problems with applying rtv over hole? Wish I knew the reason it was there and also why oil looks to leaking from it. The position seems to be on the structural web so it should not be into the block or cover were oil is located.

the sealant on the timing cover. Is this a typical spot for oil leaks?

My point is now I'm worried as to what damage that RTV is hiding and what might be broken/cracked inside that is leading to this hole leaking.

All in all engine runs smooth and pressure at a steady 3. There is not alot of oil leaking but still a concern. This next winter is the teardown so after engine is pulled I will learn more.

Bob - I tried calling Dennis a few months ago. I would love to talk to him about history of the car and the mods he did.

·
Administrator
10,237 Posts
Apparently I'm missing an owner un the chain. Any thoughts on problems with applying rtv over hole? Wish I knew the reason it was there and also why oil looks to leaking from it. The position seems to be on the structural web so it should not be into the block or cover were oil is located.

the sealant on the timing cover. Is this a typical spot for oil leaks?

My point is now I'm worried as to what damage that RTV is hiding and what might be broken/cracked inside that is leading to this hole leaking.

All in all engine runs smooth and pressure at a steady 3. There is not alot of oil leaking but still a concern. This next winter is the teardown so after engine is pulled I will learn more.

Bob - I tried calling Dennis a few months ago. I would love to talk to him about history of the car and the mods he did.
Dennis was on a 3 month camping trip and just got back in time for Carlisle.
He sold that GT to a guy from MD (or somewhere near that). When the guy picked it up, he drove it from NH to MD with no plates. His wife did not know he bought it. It was a total surprise to her.
The only reason he sold it was he was given a CA Manta.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not a normal thru-hole location. Perhaps somebody previously drilled it out? View attachment 435353
While dissecting my engine after its failure, I noticed a hole in the block that I've not noticed before. It's not a smooth hole, it's rather jagged but doesn't look like metal has broken from it. The hole is in the block somewhat near the #1 cylinder intake lifter, only a bit higher, and leads into the hole you put the distributor in I think. This just bothers me, but if it's meant to be, then cool...

Just wondering if anyone else knows about this hole...it's roughly 1/2 inch in diameter
BitLife PC - Life Simulator Free Download PC for Windows & MAC jiofi.local.html Login – Manage & Change your JioFi Wifi Password

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I'm looking at you pic correctly, that's the backside of the webbing and the backside of the timing cover bolt. I've got one too.
that is exactly it! Any idea what it was for? Your picture is 100x better than the one i was able to get. Your looks to be threaded. I smeared some jb weld on it to cover it up. I hope i didn't screw myself over.

·
Opeler
936 Posts
It's just the backside of the threaded hole for the timing cover bolt. There's no oil there unless the timing cover gasket is leaking.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's just the backside of the threaded hole for the timing cover bolt. There's no oil there unless the timing cover gasket is leaking.
The hole doesn't seem big enough for the TC bolt which i didn't think it was supposed to go all the way through. If you are correct then that is what worries me. Mine is leaking abit of oil so i wonder if all that plastered RTV is hiding a badly leaking TC.

·
Opel Key Master
5,277 Posts
Yeah, it just looks like a casting hole, don't think its an issue. I owned the car for a short bit and sold it to Howell05. Looks like the gasket is leaking and was sealed over to stop it. If its not leaking, its out of oil

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for the replies. I fear my TC is somehow leaking into the bolt hole. Either my JB weld will hold or ill just deal with a little oil leak from that area. Either way this winters teardown will give me a better idea. Heck, i might just look into one of those new fangled 2.4L you all seem to enjoy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It looks like a weap hole. Have you checked you crankcase pressure.Our '73 GT has a very rudamentry PCV system that has a hose from the valve cover to intake manifold with a screen mesh in it. Good Luck!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts