Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s my unusual problem… I drive ~50 miles to work, and I occasionally drive my 70GT, and this happens one to three times each way. The car will cruise along for 20-30 miles, and then a slight burning rubber smell will become apparent in the passenger’s compartment. About the same time I notice oil smoke coming from the back of the car. I can slow down or put the car in neutral, but the smoke continues. However, if I depress the clutch and turn the CAR off and then right back on, release the clutch, and let the momentum restart the car, the smoke stops. In addition, there is no appreciable oil drop on the dip stick.

Any Ideas?
:mad:

·
Registered
521 Posts
do you feel any vibration in the clutch pedal while driving (and smoking) if you lightly press it with your foot? Burning clutches have a distinct smell to them. Kinda like brakes...only a little different. I personally havn't seen a clutch smoke while driving tho (yet)...not that they can't or don't.

(When's the last time you drained (changed) the engine oil?...you said there is no 'drip' at the end of the dipstick..like there is no oil?

·
Administrator
10,213 Posts
Do you have the vent and vacuum lines from the valve cover connected? The small vaccum line (or the steel wool type of filter in the valve cover) may be blocked and the engine could build up internal pressure over time when you are at highway speeds causing oil to leak out onto the exhaust. Shutting the engine down then restarting would allow the pressure to relieve itself.

Just a strange thought for a strange problem. ;)

·
451 Posts
Are you sure you do not have a leaky master cylinder that is allowing brake fluid to get into the booster and subsequently getting into the intake manifold and causing the smoke?

Just a thought,

Nathan Acree
Albuquerque New Mexico

·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks All,

I will check all these possibilities and let the group know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts