Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a few hours away from finishing sanding down my 73 GT. I would like to paint it an electric blue with a single white stripe. I have seen a lot of GTs with dual stripes or one big stripe down the middle. I would like to off-set the stripe up the right side of the car and over the hump on the hood. My question is, did any GT come with this type of stripe? If so which side was the stripe located?

Sorry I am new to the history of Opels, but eager to learn.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Factory paint jobs on road going GTs were all one solid colour without stripes.
However Rally teams often altered the paint scheme on an individual basis - if you put "Opel GT" into you search engine on the web there will be all sorts of stuff come to light. Also have a search through the picture galleries on this site. In basic terms - it's your car, paint it how you want it to look!

Try cutting some strips out of white paper and laying them on the car so you can get some idea of the effect. easy to move around and cut to different sizes - you can even post some pictures here for our critical appraisal! ;)

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
How about this stripe? Was it original or added on? Jarrell

Attachments

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
if my memory is right that one was a dealer installed option. I also remember it for sale from either mantapart or C & R for a short time. That would be a nice one to see reproduced.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Yeah, I liked the way it looked and haven't seen another one like it. 69 Gt. Shame it's on a junker. It was hit in the rear. Picked it up with a red Gt in 1989. My red one is still under "restoration". Jarrell

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
GT stripes

I have seen a few varions of the stripe Jarrell has posted. The most memorible that sticks out, is one that's a little smaller and was a little lower on the rocker panel, and reminded me a whole lot of the rocker panel stripes of the original '66 Shelby Mustangs. But, instead of the "GT 350", it just said "GT" like the one Jarrell has posted.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Don't count out that rear ender! It's not as hard as you think to make a new butt plate. My #2 GT is one and here is how I made it: 1) put a big piece of cardboard against the rear end, 2) draw the rough edge of the butt and 3) useing some round cutouts, smooth the pattern out. Mine is a flat design but you can also take it to a shop that has a hydro-press to dimple the lamp holes. The rust isn't that bad on your blue GT. Got to save them GT's.
Just my 2c's worth.

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
You Can Do it Cheap!!

That GT stripe is embarrassingly easy to reproduce. You only need a copy to work from. You'd need an NOS set or a rubbing from an old one. Just as I did with the Manta stripes...contact Stripeman Graphix. www.stripeman.com
That stripe can probably be had for less than 50 bucks. Go for it!!

·
Über Genius
9,368 Posts
This is the stripe configuration that came on my opel from the dealership. The stripe goes straight down the middle. If you want more pics, let me know

BTW...This isn't me in the photo, just my son dreaming

Attachments

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Old Hippie, I'm afraid that rear ender is history now. I cut the front end off for a friend. That was the before picture. The after picture is rough. The PO had destroyed a lot in his exuberance, or ignorance, in removing parts before I got the car in 88. Not to worry though, I've got 3 more that can run, including 1 that's on the road now and another junker. :D I have leads on 3 more Gts and 2 more Mantas and a wife that says "Don't you have enough?"
Jarrell

1 - 10 of 10 Posts