Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the stud on the solenoid for the positive batter cable, and the wire feeding the fuse block is stripped out. one heck of a time even getting it off the car, put the motor back last night before i remembered "gotta do something with that stud!!!" what i'm wondering is: is there anyway to go-about this without replacing the starter or solenoid? thinking that if you take the solenoid off that you can replace the stud, any ideas or words are always appreciated, thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
not worth the hassle

Unless you're very handy with a soldering iron, you shouldn't take the solenoid apart. The studs are not really made to come out of the end piece, either, so replacing one if it was all the way apart would be a pain. Add to that that the stud is made out of copper (good luck finding a new one) and it looks like a complete waste of time.

And the icing on the cake is that the starter almost always has to come out of the car to put a new solenoid on. If you're taking the whole thing out anyway, just replace the whole thing.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
wel i had to do this with my gt i called gil at gt source hehad a rebuild kit the rear plastic piece that goes on the back of the solenoid and the copper picese and the nut and everything its easy to remove just the end piece if u have the right size in lenght flat blade screwdriver, i found it wus very easy to resolder if u use a high quality gun type soldering iron mines worked flawlessly, one thing though do u have the bosch starter because if u have that style u do have to pull the engine to remove it.id cal gil and see what he has laying around.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
If the solenoid is like the old GM style, and I think it is, the solenoid can be taken apart and the studs replaced. But, you have to be careful, the small stud that powers the solenoid coil is soldered to the coil inside the housing. The large studs that have the battery cable and the one that powers the starter have square heads on them that fit into square holes in the solenoid cap. Use the yellow pages and see if there is an alternator or generator repair shop in your area. They may have the studs in stock to fix the solenoid. I'm not sure if I have the starter here at the house on my 1.9 engine, if I do, I'll disassemble it and take some pics after I see if it is a reparable item.

Ron

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
well that is one other thing the reason i had to replace the bolt in the starter solenoid wus becasue the old plastic part wus really brittle and when i went to tighten the nut for the positive cable it snapped the plastic piece in half becasue i didnt hold the stud with two wrenches.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Now that's a major problem, a couple of possibilities, see if you can find a cap at a local generator/starter repair shop, call the Opel parts suppliers, or buy a new starter or if you can find one, a solenoid. BUMMER.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Starter solenoid stud

I'm more of a "fix it" than a "replace it" type, but in this case . . . Just replace the solenoid!

:mad:

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pullin the starter is no big deal, i pulled the motor and everything for paint and i'm just putting it back together, so its sittin ont he work bench. sold the last good starter i had on accident thinking another one i had was good, but the solenoid was junk....was just hoping for easy fix so i could bark the 2.0 tomarrow, thanks for input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts