Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a cavalier GSi with a non-running engine
I dont know exactly what happened to it but I was told it froze up because there was no antifreeze, so I assume hes tried starting it when its frozen
this is what I can see....
Timing Belt has lots of teeth missing, the marks on the cam sprockets dont line up, one is at the top, one is nearer the bottom
The engine has been turned over and the crankshaft pulley moves but the timing belt doesnt at all
I really dont know much about mechanics but reading on these forums and past experience I can tell the belt obviously needs changed, but what about the fact the sprockets marks dont line up now ??
is there any chance all that is needed is a new belt and everythimg lined up, or will there definitely be internal damage (valves maybe?)

ant help graetly appreciated, also any links to guides of how engines actually work, what makes what move etc etc
thanks all
:)

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Manual!

Buy yourself a manual for your car from a book shop or EBay - you will need illustrations to show how everything lines up correctly. Mostly earlier Cam-In-Head Opel/Vauxhall engines in our cars on this web site - they have a nice strong chain to drive the cam! Good luck!

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I echo the statement from GTJim, get a manual. You need to know if the engine is a non-interference or interference belt driven cam. The difference is, if the belt breaks, the pistons will or will not impact the valves when the belt stops turning and the crankshaft continues to turn. It is the difference between just changing the belt or rebuilding the engine. The manual will show you how to tear down the engine and rebuild it if necessary. HTH.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
I moved this thread to the "Other Models" forum, because, well, it's another model. We all like to help out other Opel owners around the world with their "non-classic" Opels (or Vauxhalls, or Brasilian Chevy's, or Holdens, or whatever), but the main purpose of this site is to provide assistance to the owners of "classic" Opels, specifically:

1968-1973 Opel GT
1964-1965 Kadett A
1966-1971 Kadett B
1971-1975 Manta A
1971-1975 1900 (known as "Ascona" outside the US)
1957-1960 P1 and P2

Hey, now that I write this, I realize I had to "borrow" the description above from the [email protected]! site. There is a bit of a "mission statement" at the bottom of our home page:

The Opel Community on OpelGT.com and ClassicOpels.com is open to all classic Opels including:The Opel GT, Opel Manta, Kadett, Ascona, Olympia, and Opel Senator and models not imported to the U.S.

Sorry, there isn't a timing belt among them. But for what's worth, coming from a person who has never re-built an engine with a timing belt, I would first buy a decent service manual, and determine if your engine is an "interference" design (where the valves and pistons do bad things to each other when they get out of sync, such as a Honda DOHC). If not, then a new belt should do it. If so, well, start looking for another engine.

JM2CW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.