Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have just bought my second OGT. Going thru a second childhood. I had the first as a teenager and my dad had it redone so I don't have the past experience to use in doing this one. I am in the process of stripping the paint off and have came across a factory joint to the left of the bottom of the back window. It has a pretty good layer of bondo (i hope I spelled that right). No damage is evident. Should that be there?

:D

·
179 Posts
I am in the process of stripping paint also and have not seen any "factory bondo" around the rear window.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
When I stripped my 71, all I remember seeing is the copper-colored braize. Take a peek up from the inside and see if a PO has done some repair work. If it's a thick repair, I'd take it out and use a alum-oxide putty (Very tuff stuff) and then finish with a thin bondo layer. You also won't have to worry about cracking the back window from hammering the dent.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
There is factory bondo over some of the braze welds, it may be some crash damage, the gt that I am currently working on had the rear quarter replaced and there is a seam in the area that you are refering to that has a thin layer of bondo in it.

·
1,175 Posts
I previously had a 1970 GT which I bought around 1976 or 77 and a 1973 GT that I bought in the early 90's. I did bodywork on both of these cars. I never saw any "bondo" and don't think that that would be used at the factory but at some body joints, like at the back end of the rocker panels, I do remember seeing a soft, shiny silver colored brazing material. It looked like solder and could have been a lead based joint filler used at the factory. This looked to me to be an original feature of the car.

BDD

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
stripping & painting

I have looked on the inside and I can't see any body damage and the joint between the fender and the metal strip between the back window and the small window behind the driver's door does not appear to be a standard weld. It is a factory seam.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts