Opel GT Forum banner
161 - 166 of 166 Posts

·
Über Genius
9,401 Posts
I'd have to look again to be sure but I think I was quoted under $400 for custom H-beam connecting rods.

Reactions: GoinManta

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Stock Opel piston/rod on the right, Mantzel M2.7 piston/rod on the left. Never did find out exactly which rods they used but there was some consensus that it was most likely a BMW item, markings on them said M10 if memory serves me right

Can't remember the camshaft but it was in the 290 degree region, as RB has mentioned before the long stroke/big displacement Opel engines will tolerate long duration camshafts without any ill effects to the idle/low rpm. Mine sounded entirely stock and would idle at 900 rpm all day long and pull cleanly from idle in any gear with the stock LE injection, shifting was optional and while well suited for a slush box with it's incredibly wide rpm register it would be a bit of a waste in my opinion, especially since these engines don't rev very well so a 5 speed is a much better choice.

Attachments

·
GT Owner
394 Posts
Been there done it.

There is a sticky for this.

1.9 to 2.4 Conversion Project Started

It is so worth it. It costs about $2000 to rebuild a 1.9L to a 2.0L and $2500 to stroke a 1.9L to a 2.4L using all new parts. A used 2.4L will start at $2500 then still need the rebuild.
If anyone is interested in a head start on that 1.9 L to 2.4L ; contact me as I have many of the pieces.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I was looking at several of my Opel Diesels.... I have a 2.3 diesel...but I also have a 2.1 diesel....I wonder if that would be a better crank...I think it has a shorter stroke...but indeed longer than the 1.9....I think that diesel block is marked 1974 or 75

161 - 166 of 166 Posts