Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Detritus Maximus
3,695 Posts
Kroil is straight from God himself!

Two types I have used are Sili-kroil and Kano-Kroil.

If you do a search on it, you usually get aircraft supply results. It is available, but I think it is no longer sold in aerosol form.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Kano Labs

Here's the company website for Kroil products:

http://www.kanolabs.com

They do still have aerosol products, and right now they have a special where you get a free can with any purchase. I just got some Penephite and a free Aerokroil. The shipping is expensive, though...pretty much made up for the free can. It worked great for me so far, but I didn't have a super challenging situation...yet ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I just exercised a bit of "Moderator Largess", and copied & merged two threads about rusted bolt removal here to the FAQ section. So it won't exactly "flow", but there is a lot of good info here.

And the reason for my exuberance? I have a Sprint exhaust manifold from my '75 SportWagon that had four of the six flange bolts rusted in place. I am sure that they are the original bolts from 29 years ago, and were just AWFUL looking with rust. I just looked at them and said "well, it's either break them off, drill them out and Heli-Coil the holes, or try that wax trick that RallyBob waxed so eloquently about (sorry, I just couldn't resist the pun).

Fortunately, the manifold had been previously removed from the engine by cutting the exhaust pipe just after the two down-comers join. So I was able to clamp the whole thing in my bench vice, and use my acetylene torch to get it good and hot (close to red hot on the manifold, and I actually did get the bolt heads red hot). I then used a common candle, which made a fair bit of smoke when I touched the hot bolts and manifold, and let it drip down along side the heads and then turned the manifold over and let it drip down the holes (from above).

I didn't let it cool much, as the manifold would be expanded the most (and the bolts loose) when it was hot. I used my 1/2 inch impact wrench, but there was really no need. They just spun right out like they were brand new bolts. AMAZING!

Post Script: I tried the same technique to remove the EGR connection on the tail pipe. The EGR tube on the '75 EFI goes down to below where the two down-comers merge, and the connection was a mass of rust. I mean, there was NO WAY this was going to come apart without destroying it. So I heated it up with my torch, applied some wax, and used a flare-nut wrench on the compression nut. And it just un-threaded! No fuss, and the threads looked as new, even if the outside of the nut and the fitting itself was rusted with pits. DOUBLE AMAZING!

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Kroil

While looking through one of my farming magazines, I came upon an ad for "Kroil". I'd remembered reading on one of the threads about how good it was on freeing rusted parts, so I thought I'd pass this on. According to the ad, it is an order direct item. $7.50 for one 10 oz. Aerosol can (Aerokroil). The website is KANOlaboratories.com The address is Dept 71Ro4 P.O Box 110098, Nashville TN 37222-0098 Phone 615-833-4101 E-Mail [email protected] HTH, Jarrell

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.