Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my fuel line ordered, should be here tomorrow. well any ways i was going to roll my gt out of the garage, and I put it in nuteral and put the parking brake down. i gave it all i got, its not much but hey i tired. and nothing didnt move. i got my buddy to help me move it. nothing still. when i bought it and drove it home the brakes were crap. any ideas to get them unstuck? should i try starting the car and backing out when i put the new gas line on???? I know nothing about brakes, except on bikes. there is a big difference.:p ... well anyways interoir is finished. moving on to brakes. should i have a auto-shop do them for me, or would it be best if i did them? basically i need help getting them unstuck..
well, thanks,Billy

·
Registered
71 Posts
Brakes

It is going to depend if it is the front or the back brakes. Most likely it is the front. You may have stepped on the brake pedal at some point recently. Mine are starting to do the same. To free them up, You may need to get to the calipers. Take the front wheels off, and you can use a screw driver(although theres a good chance the you will damage the existing pads.) you'll probably need to replace them anyway. Use the screw driver to force the pad away from the rotor. But keep in mind what your prying against. If that still doesn't do it. You can release some of the tension by loosening the bleeder screw. the Master cylinder my be stuck, and forcing the calipers to remain closed. Let me know if you have any questions. Feel free to email.

·
Opel Junkie
113 Posts
the same thing happened to me when i bought my 72. had a hell of a time getting the car on the trailer ... it wouldn't roll. when i got it home and off the trailer (took 4 men and a small girl to move), i jacked up the front end and found both front tires stuck. i took everything apart and found that the calipers were stuck. ordered a couple of caliper rebuild sets from ogts, took them apart by soaking them in various penetrants, cleaned everything really well, then put them back together. the result? perfectly functioning brakes!!

i would recommend overhauling the calipers and the rear wheel brake cylinders at the same time. that way you will make sure the brake system is good.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Take a look and see if the E brake cable is stuck. If you had it sitting for a while with it on, there is a real good chance of that being your problem. Simple check would be to pull on the handle and feel if it is loose then suddenly hard as you pull it up. When something screws up for me I usually look back on the last thing I did with it. Boy that sounds like I screw up alot, not the case. I just try to look at the most obvious first.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Also check your brake lines. If you have not replaced then, they can swell up and act like a one way valve to the brake pads. Hitting the brake locks them up and they don't release. Been there-done that:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
baronbors said:
Also check your brake lines. If you have not replaced then, they can swell up and act like a one way valve to the brake pads.
Should have said - check the three rubber parts of the brake lines, two in front and one in back. Over time the inside of the rubbers swells up and acts like a check valve. Man- I need some caffine.:eek:

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i second baronbors....both my driving GTs did the same thing as your car, both were rubber brake hoses. if its the hoses, opening up the bleeders will let fluid out, releaseing the brakes, close them up and if you hit the brake again, and they lock again, its your hoses doing as baronbors had stated.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
leak!!!

i seen some kind of liquid about where the mastercylinder is, under my gt. i got some of it on my finger and it was so dirty from my garage floor i couldn't tell what it was.. any ideas? i couldnt find where it was coming from!!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
be careful not to get it on the body, brake fluid is an iritant and will damage the paint. also don't dip your hands into it too much.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Four possibilities:

1) Brake Fluid
2) Water
3) Engine Oil
4) Battery Acid

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
yes, first hand experience, brake fluid on my metallica marron GT, sold a couple months ago, altho paint was faded, it turned the paint chalky white, and softened it. automatic tranny fluid turned it purple......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts