Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
subs.

I was wanting to cut holes out of it to put a 12" subs in.:) . but i dont want to mess up my gt tho.

·
2,054 Posts
If you mount speakers in that false floor panel in the luggage space, the sound gets blocked anytime stuff gets put back there.

We mounted some in that vertical panel just below the vinyl flap to the spare tire space. Sound was good, but it got blocked whenever we put stuff like camping gear back there.

I've considered building up that luggage space and putting in a lockage storage unit. Thought I'd make it the same rounded shape as the wood floor panel, but get maybe 12"-15" height. I thought also of mounting a CD changer back there.

·
1971 GT
638 Posts
I used the space here like this:

On the drivers side I built a box down into the space that holds 2 amps and the crossover for my stereo. It is covered with plexi flush with the original rear compartment floor. Very neat & tidy.

On the pass. side I've got a 10" sub.

There is not much room in there and the biggest drawback I've found is that there is not much air space for the subwoofer to generate good base.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wait 2 12's wont fit, are you sure? What subs are they, what room is recommended for them. I'm almost certain that there is more then enough room for 2 12's, I'm going to use a single 18 when i do my install, and I definilty have enough room for that. Are you going for a sealed box, ported, IB ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
they are 500 watt thump 12"s but I would have to take up that space infront of the spare compartment to fit them. not sure if I want to do that or not yet.

only time will tell.

ohh and a sealed box
not sure the air room they need

·
Idiot with a GT
155 Posts
subs and boxes

For useful info on sealed sub boxes (as well as ported, isobarics and bandpass), check out www.diysubwoofers.org
You can get formulas and ideas for mobile as well as home speaker setups.
Dave

·
Registered
136 Posts
Great site. Since your going with sealed you really dont need much room. I would go with just over 1 cu ft for each driver. You can get the space by removing the plank as desribed above (set of screws), and building a custom box to replace it. Not that much work and you will still have full use of the 'trunk'. Good luck to you.

BTW has anyone measured the area under the plank and clear back over the tank? I'm curious just how much room is down there, and havent had time to do a decent job of measuring everything.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
A friend of mine has a sub that was built to fit inside the 13 inch spare. Sounded pretty good but had to be removed to use the spare. Pretty neat idea but do not know who sells it.

·
Opeler
33 Posts
most boxes that are built in to the spare tire well are custom boxes... there are some cases where manufacturers make boxes to fit specific vehicles, but i doubt any of those are for the spare tire well... it's not all that hard to build a spare tire box if you can work with fiberglass... just a matter of laying it in there, getting the right thickness, and building a good baffle to mount the sub to...

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
maybe

Were you talking about the subwoofers that actually fit into the spare tires themselves?

The new Acura RSX has one made by Bose:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38646&item=2442698912

And apparently both Mazda and Mopar had options for powered ones with built-in amps.:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38646&item=2442591085
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38647&item=2442593905

And finally, Pioneer made one for a while as aftermarket, with a built-in amp as well. I heard these new and they weren't aweful, just not enough to really make it from the trunk to the interior of the car. In a GT they might be just fine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3059408956&category=52479

Ah, more ideas for something to spend money I don't have on.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Yes the sub fit in the spare. He had to be sure that the spare tire keeper was tight. I like my stereo, original am radio hooked to nothing with not even a speaker hole.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
so does it sound good in a gt if u mount the sub in the center of the spare tire?? or has any one tried this. jus wondering since i have a/c and plan on keepin it i cant mount speakers and subs on the back panle like in most gt's. i wus also thinking about this idea they make subwoofer that u mount under ur sofa for home enternament systems i wus thinking mount a sub under each seat like two small 8's or something....any ideas any one with a/c that has found a good mounting spot???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts